hen puffed out, standing still, not eating or drinking? please help

Well this morning when I went in the room to check on her, she was standing up normal and even eating and "talking" a little..so I brought her outside to move around and she was running and digging and seemed to be just fine, so I let the others out to free range with her to make sure there'd be no picking on her and everyone was fine, acting normal. Although now she's back to standing in that position (I attached a photo) in the run. Should I let her stay out there, or bring her back inside? This is so confusing because at random moments (mostly first thing in the morning), she seems fine..and then it's back to standing still :-/ a part of me thinks I'm worrying too much and should let her be, but a part of me thinks I'm missing something.

No, looking like she does, there is something wrong and it is probably internal and not viral.
I agree with campingshaws advice.

Thank you. I tried to find liquid calcium but went to 5 stores with no luck..so I've been trying to give her oatmeal and yogurt, mixed with crushed shells, but have had little luck getting her to eat them
hmm.png
Go to Tractor Supply and get a bottle of Calcium Gluconate, but only give it to her if you can confirm she has an egg. If you can feel an egg, give 0.2ml per pound orally .

It looks like this:

-Kathy

Last edited:
While you're at Tractor, you might want to get some Corid and Safeguard for goats in case you decide to treat for coccidia and/or worms. All three items you'll find in the goat/cattle section, no the chicken section.

-Kathy

I just wanted to thank you all for your help. There's no vets around here that deal with chickens, so it's hard to figure this stuff out on your own, and it's nice to be able to come on here for help. When I got home today after being gone for a few hours, she seems to have made a drastic improvement. She's walking around and doing the usual hen stuff, eating, being vocal again, and she hasn't been in that standing still position at all. So I'm going to keep an eye on her, and let her be tonight, and hope she's making a full recovery. She's been getting electrolytes, and I did pick up calcium and corid so I'll have them on hand if needed, (and de-wormer to give them tomorrow just in case). Thanks again!

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank you all for your help. There's no vets around here that deal with chickens, so it's hard to figure this stuff out on your own, and it's nice to be able to come on here for help. When I got home today after being gone for a few hours, she seems to have made a drastic improvement. She's walking around and doing the usual hen stuff, eating, being vocal again, and she hasn't been in that standing still position at all. So I'm going to keep an eye on her, and let her be tonight, and hope she's making a full recovery. She's been getting electrolytes, and I did pick up calcium and corid so I'll have them on hand if needed, (and de-wormer to give them tomorrow just in case). Thanks again!
Good luck and keep us posted. I'm still new and know exactly how you feel. The people on this site saved my hens life.

Back
Top Bottom