Hen swallowed piece of broccoli stem and it's stuck in throat

Okay, so I just watchd that video, and I gotta let everyone know that it's full of misinformation and dangerous advice. :(

Did you all see how little fluid she acually gave and I think the hen did aspirate a little of it.

Yes i did watch it and the only part that i intended for the op was when she actually started clearing the crop. This was the best video i could find without going deep in the web.I just wanted to give them a gist of what you were supposed to do.Im not saying that this is a great link either.
Better then to not post anything than to post misinformation.

Quote: Be very careful attempting this...... pretty easy to squirt that water down the esophagus(aspiration), virtually drowning the bird.
@casportpony has info on how to tube a bird...much safer to tube.

Same with 'vomiting' a bird, also a danger of aspiration.
That piece of broccoli won't come back up any easier than it went down....give it time to digest, have no idea if it will tho.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the chunk was between 1 & 1 1/2 inches sort of square. I chopped the stem into chunks. I know I know. Never again. I usually throw it in the microwave with water and soften it up for a few minutes. Sigh...

I just checked her again. She pooped a little and was pecking at her food pellets. I just have about half a cup in a bowl. I can't really feel the chunk anymore in her crop. It is much softer and even smaller than earlier, so maybe I get lucky this time? I have water with chicken powder with probiotics and electrolytes in it mixed in. No fluid came up. Still gurgling but not as much. Can't thank you all enough. Great therapy!
1f600.png
1f423.png

Quote: Posting implies a viable solution unless you specify it, or part of it, is not a good thing to do.
You even stated that is might be the best idea:
Quote:
You welcome.I do hope the best for your hen.There is one option that you can do but it is very risky but where your at this might be the best idea.

Watch this

Better then to not post anything than to post misinformation.

Absolutely!

Id rather not fight in this thread.

Not fighting, just pointing out that it wasn't the best information to share. It happens all the time around here. Just learn from it.

If someone doesn't take an initiative to correct misinformation, others will also use it.

Back
Top Bottom