Hen With An Odd Growth In Her Nose??

Sep 6, 2021
Boise County, ID
Hey y’all, I am a bit befuddled by one of my hens! She is a 9 month old Freedom Ranger mix with a small, odd growth in her nostril. She has been acting normally, but has minor labored breathing I think as a result of this thing. I noticed it while tucking the flock in for the night. The growth is firm(ish) and can be moved a tad. I am not sure if this is a cause for concern, or nothing to worry about. Any thoughts and ideas for treatment would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9207.jpeg
    IMG_9207.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 105
Does it feel like tissue or skin? I am no expert, but maybe it is a growth from inside the nostril. How does the other side look? Have you looked up into the roof of the beak with a light for any thing odd, or yellow material? The choanal slit in the roof is connected to the sinus cavity.

1704631912409.jpeg

Does it feel like tissue or skin? I am no expert, but maybe it is a growth from inside the nostril. How does the other side look? Have you looked up into the roof of the beak with a light for any thing odd, or yellow material? The choanal slit in the roof is connected to the sinus cavity.

View attachment 3721117
That’s what I was thinking. When I took my light, I could see it continued to grow upward into the nostril. It feels to me kinda like tissue. The other side looks normal. I have not looked into the choanal slit, but I’ll see if she’ll let me grab a peek. Thank you for your thoughts!

Pretty sure it is not a tick, it’s the dead of winter around here and those things should not make an appearance till spring. Thank you for sharing your thoughts though!

Yeah... it's also winter in France, and yet :
- I have a hen that have had a tick biting on her face not so long ago,
- one of the stray cats living in my garden had several ticks on his chin until I removed them from him some days ago.
(And trust me : these ticks were moving their little legs, and so, were very alive and active...)

Just be careful with your hen!
If ever it IS a tick, you really don't want it biting you.

Good luck!!

It may be more a bother than anything serious, but hopefully won’t occlude the nostril. Having dogs and cats, I have seen plenty of engorged ticks. They appear bluish or very pale, and are very soft/squishy. Oddly enough we have seen some defects of the nostrils here on BYC.

Yeah... it's also winter in France, and yet :
- I have a hen that have had a tick biting on her face not so long ago,
- one of the stray cats living in my garden had several ticks on his chin until I removed them from him some days ago.
(And trust me : these ticks were moving their little legs, and so, were very alive and active...)

Just be careful with your hen!
If ever it IS a tick, you really don't want it biting you.

Good luck!!
I have not seen it moving, there aren’t little legs visible either. It kinda looks like a noodle growing up into the nostril (straight into the roof and not farther up the cavity thank goodness) but I’ll keep an eye out for signs it may be a tick. Thanks!

It may be more a bother than anything serious, but hopefully won’t occlude the nostril. Having dogs and cats, I have seen plenty of engorged ticks. They appear bluish or very pale, and are very soft/squishy. Oddly enough we have seen some defects of the nostrils here on BYC.
I am still leaning more towards a growth than a tick. The color is not tick-like (at least the ones we have around here) and it is not soft and squishy like engorged tick. I have not seen it move on its own yet. It looks like an extension of beak-colored tissue growing from the inside roof of her beak straight down and out. I will include some more pictures shortly. If it was a tick, that would be an easy solution. But unfortunately, I don’t think that is what it is. I am open to anything, though. Thank you for your input! I am hoping this thing will just not grow anymore or obstruct her nasal passage completely.

Back
Top Bottom