Hen with diarrhea

angelikimarie

Songster
6 Years
Nov 5, 2015
Melbourne Fl
I noticed last night when I locked my hens up in the coop that one of them was not roosting, she was sleeping on top of the flat nesting boxes, then noticed today her butt had some poop caked on it, so I waited until they went in for the night, got her out, sprayed and I got most of it off, but her vent looks saggy and maybe leaky, I will get a better look in the daylight tomorrow if I can catch her. She doesn't like to be messed with.

Is the most common issue "vent gleet" in mature hens? Because I am thinking it is that. I gave her some water diluted apple cider vinegar with a syringe, and I was going to mix some kind of spray, I read diluted iodine spray, then I read super diluted oregano oil spray. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I read ACV orally will help get her body alkaline to fight infection. Ordered probiotics.

What else can I do?

Thank you

Can you post a photo of this "leaky, saggy vent"?

How old is this hen?
Is she currently laying? When was the last egg?
Have any of her eggs been shell-less?
Is she very thirsty and drinking a lot of water?
Have you checked her crop?

Vent gleet isn't all that common of an issue, but egg binding is. This may be what's happening in your hen.

It might be best to refrain from stuffing her full of herbal remedies until you have a better idea of what may be going on. Do provide clean water and plain feed for now.

Can you post a photo of this "leaky, saggy vent"?

How old is this hen?
Is she currently laying? When was the last egg?
Have any of her eggs been shell-less?
Is she very thirsty and drinking a lot of water?
Have you checked her crop?

Vent gleet isn't all that common of an issue, but egg binding is. This may be what's happening in your hen.

It might be best to refrain from stuffing her full of herbal remedies until you have a better idea of what may be going on. Do provide clean water and plain feed for now.
She's about two years old.
I will get a photo of it asap.
I have no idea if she is laying because they have all been on and off and some just started laying (30 chickens) I was debating on separating her but she seems ok otherwise... She is eating and drinking.
Her crop felt pretty full and maybe a little hard when I checked on her before bedtime.

Check the crop in the morning again. It should be empty. If not, that could be her problem.
I couldn't sleep so I went to check on her 2:30am. Crop is soft and empty again, she pooped in front of my and it was solid. I will get a photo of her vent in the daylight.

Back
Top Bottom