Hen with dirty behind feathers

X2 and that is where I'd start with this bird.  Chickens can be very hard to diagnose so sometimes you just have to start with the most common and easily treated possibilities and go from there.  I'd deworm her with Valbazen or Safeguard as well as check her very carefully for lice/mites. 
[/quote

Thank you I will try that today!!! I appreciate all the feed back I didn't even know where to begin since I've never had a problem before!

What do u recommend is the best way to give it to her and how do I figure out a dosage?

What do u recommend is the best way to give it to her and how do I figure out a dosage?
If she were mine she would get Safeguard liquid for goats or Safeguard paste for horses at .2ml - .5ml per 2.2 pounds by mouth for 5 days (20mg-50mg per kg). That will take care of almost all worms.

I'd also check the inside of her vent for and egg:
These might help you to check for an egg or masses.
LL

fig025.jpg

-Kathy

my red star sex link.started having laying issues last year.I lost both of her sisters to internal egg laying last year.Sorry to say 4th of July.we had to put her down.she had stopped eating and had her tail down,she was lethargic and had runny poops for days.she was dying slowly.she was 41/2 years old.and for the record my hens are wormed every 6 months.and have the best of the best.we all get old and tired.i so miss her.she was one of my first chickens.

so I got her out but I literally had to take her out of the coop and she's walking around some and pecked at an apple for a while but she's not scratching much just kind of pecking around a little and slowly taking a walk ...just not acting like a normal chicken, u can see she still has her tail down...I'm going to get wormer first thing in the morning I got home too late to get it tonight so I'm hoping that's all it is but I'm concerned since she hasn't Kate's in probably over a month. Oh and poo is def runny and kind of yellow

so I got her out but I literally had to take her out of the coop and she's walking around some and pecked at an apple for a while but she's not scratching much just kind of pecking around a little and slowly taking a walk ...just not acting like a normal chicken, u can see she still has her tail down...I'm going to get wormer first thing in the morning I got home too late to get it tonight so I'm hoping that's all it is but I'm concerned since she hasn't Kate's in probably over a month. Oh and poo is def runny and kind of yellow
Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

It soaked into the ground it was a "mucusy" yellow and some white to it ago, any idea what that could be a sign of? She just attacked a bowl of apples and yogurt though at least

Back
Top Bottom