Hen with dirty behind feathers

So just an update incase anyone was wondering butterscotch is still hanging in there but after worming, antibiotics and probiotics it seems that she is internally laying :( she doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain at this point she is still eating and drinking and really enjoyed a nectarine yesterday but she's really slowed down and her abdomen is "squishy" and heavy and her poop is "yolky" so we are just trying to keep her as comfortable as possible and spoil her with her favorite treats until she seems really bad at which we will have to make the decision to put her down I guess :( I feel so bad but I don't know what else to do for her

Short of a very risky, very expensive "hail mary" surgery, the best you can do is spoil her rotten, give her as many meal worms as she wants, feed her boiled eggs. Love her and speak gently to her. Well...If she'll take your affection well and it not cause her stress.
Perhaps the decision should be made before she "gets really bad" because then you'll wish you had done it sooner, you can go back in time....and watching them struggle/suffer or being in pain...it really just...
*le sigh* trust me, you don't want to have to see that.

So sorry to hear that Butterscotch is still no better...as you suspect internal laying there is not anything that will cure her..if she has an infection it may be a good idea to give her more antibiotics...warm baths with betadine or iodine in the water may help with her backside if it is sore...wish I could offer a solution..

Best of luck !

I have been giving her more antibiotics to try and help with any infection and maybe I'm wrong about the internal laying? I went out this morning to take care of the girls and check on butterscotch especially of course and she was a little bit perkier than she has been! She actually came over pretty quickly when I changed the water to get a drink and didn't have her tail down!!! Could it be that maybe I was wrong and it was something else and she's improving!? Her poop was also more solid this morning and was a dark green/brown with white! Haha never thought id be so excited about chicken poo!

It's hot today so I put her in a dog crate in the garage where it's cool and she's eating away with her tail up (she was laying down in the run when I went back earlier) I'm hoping if she has food/water to herself and is comfortable shell perk up even more...it's worth a shot her abdomen doesn't feel as swollen today...

Come on Butterscotch....we need you to get back to normal health....ask your Mom if she can give you some vitamin D3...or tums...that is apart from all the other treats you are getting....!

I will def give her some tums!!! I have those here! Whole? Or should I crush them?

Back
Top Bottom