Hen with encrusted vent, underweight and not laying

Thank you for your support.

I think after tonight's bath the vent looks a bit better and I manage to get some crumbling stuff out of her vent.

It looks like it was calcified so impacted may be right. at least, she is not blocked and seems happy enough scratching around with the other two.

I found her exiting one of the nesting boxes a couple of times with no result. So maybe she was trying to move something.

I'll come back with regular reports.

Thank you for all your help.

Wow that was quite a plugged vent! I pray I don't have to deal with something like that. Looks scary. How is she doing?

I'm new to this website as well and new to having chickens (as of November).

I have another question, I have a chicken here that I think has a yeast infection. This is a pictures of her bottom.
This picture was just taken after her soak in water, epson salt, and tea tree oil. After this picture I applied some coconut oil with some frankenscence, tea tree oil, and lavender mixed in it. She has been dealing with this for two months now. Her bottom will get matted down with poop and feathers get quite stuck tight. She tends to get real red skin in the area too. I'd like to try and treat her naturally. I added some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water. But if I can't and need to go get a prescription...I dont even know where to take her?! lol.

Wow that was quite a plugged vent! I pray I don't have to deal with something like that. Looks scary. How is she doing?

I'm new to this website as well and new to having chickens (as of November).

I have another question, I have a chicken here that I think has a yeast infection. This is a pictures of her bottom.
This picture was just taken after her soak in water, epson salt, and tea tree oil. After this picture I applied some coconut oil with some frankenscence, tea tree oil, and lavender mixed in it. She has been dealing with this for two months now. Her bottom will get matted down with poop and feathers get quite stuck tight. She tends to get real red skin in the area too. I'd like to try and treat her naturally. I added some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water. But if I can't and need to go get a prescription...I dont even know where to take her?! lol.
Welcome to BYC.
Looks like vent gleet which is a type of yeast/fungal infection.
I think the most common treatment would be something like an athlete's foot cream.
I have posted two links, one is the more natural approach and the other more conventional.
Good Luck and hope she feels better soon.

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Thank you Wyorp. Those two links were great. I just need to be consistent. I'm not sure if I should be quarantining her so I can be sure she's getting what I want her to have. For now I think I'll try to apply an ointment on her bottom daily, and I'll continue to use Apple Cider Vinegar in the feed/water.

I have a feed mix made for my chickens so it's very dusty/loose. I wet it down before I feed it to them. I wonder if that could be a cause of concern for her loose poops. Noticed other loose poops too so I know it's not just her.

Poor girl. I wonder if it itches?

My girl is going well. She looks much better now but she still has hard gunk on the inside of her vent about the size of a walnut.

This is tonight after her bath, she's on her back.

Is it ok if I use a siringe to squirt baby oil inside her vent?

The outside is looking good now, but the inside is another matter.

Poor girl. I wonder if it itches?

My girl is going well. She looks much better now but she still has hard gunk on the inside of her vent about the size of a walnut.

This is tonight after her bath, she's on her back.

Is it ok if I use a siringe to squirt baby oil inside her vent?

The outside is looking good now, but the inside is another matter.
That does look better, you've been doing a really good job!
thumbsup.gif

As for squirting the baby oil, it's worth a try, the only thing I was wondering about is the fragrance, if it would be irritating. Baby oil is generally made of mineral oil which can be used for some internal lubrication.
If you are worried about the baby oil It may be better to use plain mineral oil or even something like ky jelly.
Is she eating better? What about pooping?

Last edited:
Interesting @Eggcessive ! So how would you debride the tissue? Use a soft nail brush, toothbrush or something like one of those facial cleansing loofahs? Debride with maybe veterycin or just salt water?
Sorry @ctrl-alt-doll I'm always trying to learn, so I ask lots of questions (drives my DH crazy sometimes
big_smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom