Hen with swollen face- 3 month update, suggestions?

My pullet is experiencing the same symptoms.

I'm treating with hot compresses, Vetricyn on the area, and vetRx around her nostrils and on the roof of her mouth.

My flock has been hit with everything under the sun this Autumn, and this little one has taken the brunt of it.
Background: two pullets died of Marek's in September and October, so the whole flock likely has repressed immune systems.

The entire flock was treated for a respiratory disease (tetracycline, 800mg, 7 days, tapered off for 5 days), Nov 4-11.
Then everyone was treated for cocci and worms after this pullet had bloody feces, and another had slimy green feces.
Then this pullet started coughing again, so I isolated her and she got another 7-day course of tetracycline. She was symptom free after 2 days on the tetra.
2-3 days after the course of tetra and her reintegration, this bump shows up, with no other symptoms. I let her stay outside for about 5 days, then she became slightly lethargic, so I pulled her. Back into the hospital box!
I'm treating her with hot compresses, and with Vetricyn ON the bump and surrounding area and VetRx around her nostrils and on the roof of her mouth 3 times each day.
I just started the compresses last night, but I think the bump is more squishy today. Progress?
I haven't noticed any change since I pulled her 2 days ago. I have Tylan 200 on order, which should arrive tomorrow. If she's still lethargic tomorrow, I'll dose with the Tylan tomorrow, then again 3 days later.
I'll update here if anything changes.

PS. I would totally take her to a vet, but my chicken vet experiences so far have been that I know what's going on with my birds better than they do.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about all your issues! That lump looks exactly like how my Jezebel's started. Same size and location!
I tried Tylan50 injected for 3 days, no results. I tried the oxytetracycline in their water, no luck. Trying sulfa meds for the second time- 2x a day. Also I am separating her to eat extra protein in the a.m. and have periodically given nutridrench and polyvisol. Right now I think the main issue is her impeded vision affecting her confidence and eating.
I am going out right now to get the cream Eggcessive suggested.
Please keep me posted on what works and what doesn't work, along with status updates. Thanks and good luck.

Updated at 1:55pm - I bought the miconazole fungal cream and applied it carefully on Jezebel's face. She spent a good 2 minutes trying to wipe the area by rubbing her face under her wing - I was almost concerned that it was burning her or something. So I picked her up and really I had rubbed it in well, but I rubbed the area a bit more and when I put her down, she went about her business.

Last edited:
Today's photos
First one is a back to front view to show the depth of the swelling and the last one is of her "good side" for reference.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: I just noticed that when i upload photos on BYC, the color ends up being washed out. Her comb/wattles look pale here, but they don't on my computer.)

Great pictures. They really do show the thickness of the condition on the right side of the face. I really wish I knew someone at a good poultry center to send your pictures to, such as Cornell. Lymphoma or tumor seems more likely than fungus with skin thickening. Caspotpony has contacts at UC Davis in California, I think.

Poor thing. I said a little prayer to Saint Francis of Assisi to watch over her. Iam not religious or anything but when my cat went missing for 9 days durning the winter last year I ask him for help. Jasper came home I took him to the vet couldn't believe he came home. He lost some weight and his voice was a little horses

That actually means a lot to me. I pray for her every night.
Thanks so much
hugs.gif
And many thanks to Eggcessive and Casportpony for their help, advice and support. I'd be lost without them.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about all your issues! That lump looks exactly like how my Jezebel's started. Same size and location!
I tried Tylan50 injected for 3 days, no results. I tried the oxytetracycline in their water, no luck. Trying sulfa meds for the second time- 2x a day. Also I am separating her to eat extra protein in the a.m. and have periodically given nutridrench and polyvisol. Right now I think the main issue is her impeded vision affecting her confidence and eating.
I am going out right now to get the cream Eggcessive suggested.
Please keep me posted on what works and what doesn't work, along with status updates. Thanks and good luck.

Updated at 1:55pm - I bought the miconazole fungal cream and applied it carefully on Jezebel's face. She spent a good 2 minutes trying to wipe the area by rubbing her face under her wing - I was almost concerned that it was burning her or something. So I picked her up and really I had rubbed it in well, but I rubbed the area a bit more and when I put her down, she went about her business.
Keep me updated, please! My girl is more energetic today than yesterday. Sometimes I think forced rest is the #1 cure for many of their problems.

Do you have a way to get a little blood work done? I think you would have seen her gone downhill faster than she has if it was lymphoma but don't rule it out. Even a cat or dog vet that does in house blood counts/examinations should be able to take a sample and look for lymphoblasts (sometimes called blast lymphs). Presence of these can be a good indicator for lymphoma without having to sacrifice the bird for a gross exam. It's hardly foolproof but it is an option if you want to learn more. If we are just doing counts, without a full blood panel, it costs me less than $100 at my avian vet. Your mileage may vary! I also understand that many can not afford such exams on poultry, and I respect that.

I regret I have no direct experience with this type of swelling. So far the lymphomas in my birds have been visceral. I'm sorry I'm not more help!

Last edited:
I live in NH as well and having some issues with facial swelling. I found an excellent Avian Vet in Portsmouth. My Rooster tested negative for MG but has now been on 2 rounds of antibiotics. Neither has helped. I have an appointment with him on the 15th to have more blood work and cultures done. Possibly have some DNA tests done too. I will let you know what the tests find. Maybe it could help you out some.
I hope all goes well with your chicken. Mine mean the world to me and I don't know what I would do without them!

Sheesh! A friend of mine out here in Southern California also has a hen with a nose bump. It followed a respiratory infection (as did mine), went away with rest and vetRx, and now has come back.

Let's get to the bottom of this!

Back
Top Bottom