Hen with swollen face- 3 month update, suggestions?

March update!
wee.gif

Jezebel just started laying. This is her 2nd week.
She has become a new chicken: full of vim and vigor! Her innocent curiosity and eagerness are back - just like she was before the facial swelling. She is bolder, vocal and more self-assured; dodging some higher order hens but definitely doing a bit of bullying of those close to her station. She is eager to be patted and held. The swelling is about the same on her face, but the wattle on that side (which had looked like an inflamed, swollen sac of liquid, is now a flat and appropriately pink wattle (no wattle is present on the normal side of her face).

I will try to post some photos soon! I am really excited by this change. She just seems sooo much more alive and happy!

jonalisa

Just found this thread and read from start to finish. Such an interesting mystery, but happy to hear she seems to be doing well.

Did you ever end up getting another vet involved? Not sure where you are in NH, but I have had good luck with Marlborough Vet/Dr. deSena out here in the Monadnock region where I am. Have never had anything this complicated to bring to him, but I have trusted him with the stomach bugs and other small issues my girls have had over the years.

Just found this thread and read from start to finish. Such an interesting mystery, but happy to hear she seems to be doing well.

Did you ever end up getting another vet involved? Not sure where you are in NH, but I have had good luck with Marlborough Vet/Dr. deSena out here in the Monadnock region where I am. Have never had anything this complicated to bring to him, but I have trusted him with the stomach bugs and other small issues my girls have had over the years.

Hello all, here is my update on Jezebel:
All photos are here:
http://www.pbase.com/jonalisa

Jezebel has made almost a full recovery. There is some swelling around the eye sockets causing a small amount of depth perception issues, but overall she is back to normal!
I tried many things including antibiotics, Benadryl, supplements, topical medicinal cannabis, etc
All I can say is that time is what worked. I am glad I did not give in to advice to cull, but she was never so disabled that she couldn't eat or drink.
I took updated photos today (at bottom of album - link above) and noticed she has a spur on one leg!

Thanks all!
jonalisa

Hello all, here is my update on Jezebel:
All photos are here:
http://www.pbase.com/jonalisa

Jezebel has made almost a full recovery. There is some swelling around the eye sockets causing a small amount of depth perception issues, but overall she is back to normal!
I tried many things including antibiotics, Benadryl, supplements, topical medicinal cannabis, etc
All I can say is that time is what worked. I am glad I did not give in to advice to cull, but she was never so disabled that she couldn't eat or drink.
I took updated photos today (at bottom of album - link above) and noticed she has a spur on one leg!

Thanks all!
jonalisa
She looks very good and is a pretty hen. It is wonderful that she has thrived. I have an old line RIR hen with spurs as well, that I recently just noticed. Her hatchmates don't have any.

Last edited:
Hey, I think my hen is going through the same thing that yours did. I don't know what to do! I would really appreciate if you told me how you treated her and what worked for you, thanks x

Hey, I think my hen is going through the same thing that yours did. I don't know what to do! I would really appreciate if you told me how you treated her and what worked for you, thanks x
I'm sorry, I never saw this. Honestly, I did nothing. She still has some facial swelling but is otherwise fine! http://www.pbase.com/jonalisa/image/165315118
That said, I have a new chicken who was getting pecked a lot and I now see she has the same lump near her eye.

Back
Top Bottom