Hen with swollen face- 3 month update, suggestions?

I sent photos and details to a professor at UConn.

His response: This could be a Soft tissue tumor such as Fibromas, Fibrosarcomas, myxomas, or myxosarcoma. Sometimes this is induced by avian leucosis virus, one thing you did not test for. This is a long shot. It might just have been a physical injury resulting in a tumor. All the best. MD

PS. I wrote back and asked if there was nothing to be done. His response:
Sorry, I forgot to add that. Not much that can be done. It might go away. Are you sure there are no respiratory symptoms? Infectious Coryza also causes this, but is generally associated with some coughing, or sneezing, or gasping. MD

Last edited:
I just found out that my flock with swollen faces tested positive for MG!
sad.png

Sorry about the sad news!

Thank you.
I can't imagine culling them, so I will keep a closed flock.
I am so so good about bio security too. It just goes to show that anyone's flock is at risk.
I hope all goes well for you!

Just a quick update on my hen Jezebel.
Her swelling seems to be a bit worse, but that is the only change thus far. (Will try to get a photo this week).

I read that prednisone can be used for some lymphomas in humans. It made me wonder if chickens can have prednisone?
I assume that their livers may not be able to process it - but figured I'd ask...if anyone knows, please post.

If only I could reduce some of this swelling around the eye, she'd be able to see better.

jonalisa

Just a quick update on my hen Jezebel.
Her swelling seems to be a bit worse, but that is the only change thus far. (Will try to get a photo this week).

I read that prednisone can be used for some lymphomas in humans. It made me wonder if chickens can have prednisone?
I assume that their livers may not be able to process it - but figured I'd ask...if anyone knows, please post.

If only I could reduce some of this swelling around the eye, she'd be able to see better.

jonalisa
Thanks for the update. I have been worried about Jezabel. Prednisone can be a good drug for some things, but it also can make the body vulnerable to infections, and in humans, peptic ulcers. Since diseases causing lymphoma can decrease the white cell count and immunity, I would be cautious. People with asthma and other diseases sometimes have to decide which thing outweighs the other, and steroids like prednisone can make their lives better. Seems like it might be worth trying to help her see.

The dosage I found in 2 references for birds gave a dosage of 0.25 mg to 0.5mg per pound of weight given twice a day. A 5 pound bird could get up to 2.5 mg twice a day. It should only be given for a short period, such as a week or two. Then the dosage should be tapered down gradually from twice daily to once daily, then every other day. Don't abruptly stop the medicine. It can be given orally, as well as in a shot. Side effects are possible fungal infections, decreased immunity, and possible ulcers.

Last edited:
I will get a photo tomorrow for sure - it's been a crazy holiday. I think the swelling is increased quite a bit. I will also check my supply of prednisone and make sure I have enough for all the doses planned out.

Doodle, if you are following this, who is your vet in Portsmouth?

My girl died last night. I'm pretty sure her bumps were tumors, and they spread to her brain. I'll post here when lab results come back.

Back
Top Bottom