hen wounded, can't get rid of the maggots

Quote:
big_smile.png
Yep that sounds like an Ameraucana. Sorry the predator got her.
sad.png
The man at the feed store said that out of his birds the Australorps were the most sensible and friendly.
smile.png

Say, if that stuff hasn't cleared up the maggot problem by now go out and get some SWAT from the feed store.

You have got a lot of good advice and it seems like all will be well...just adding my 2 cents...

I had a similar issue last year. We went camping for 2 days and came home to one of my "yard roos" totally infested (it was hot out and I am in FL so hatch happens QUICK out here) apparently he was mauled by something. I am amazed he survived the attack. He had 2 very deep and long gashes where the leg connects to body on the underside. I would say probably 7 inches long by 3-4 inches deep. It was really bad...he could not walk at all and at first I thought he was already dead...and the smell was really putrid. He survived, but he was never able to walk normally after that.

What I did:
Day 1: used one of those syringe style medicine dispensers for kids and did an initial flush with peroxide to flush out as many maggots as possible. Then flushed with watered down iodine, then packed the wounds with antibiotic ointment and covered the wounds, wrapping an ace bandage around him to keep it in place. I kept him isolated from flies and other chickens on my screened front porch with a heat lamp and a nice deep bed of hay, fresh water, high quality feed, some yogurt etc. just to support his immune system as much as I could.

Day 2: removed dressing, used q-tips to remove the ointment, flushed again with diluted iodine, removed maggots, repacked with fresh ointment and redressed the wound.

Day 3: same as above

Day 4: did the dressing and ointment removal, flushed with the iodine soloution again but this time I only swabbed ointment inside the wound with q-tips and did not cover the wound up with anything. I think by this day I only had a couple maggots left that I picked out...I do not recall any maggots after day 4. I did however continue the flush and antibiotic ointment for a few more days.

I think in total I actually treated him for a week. I kept him on that porch though for probably a month before he was well enough to roam the yard again.

Tanya

Fly strike isn't limited to a particular type of fly. Most of the fly strikes I've seen were caused by the green bottle fly, those common metallic green filth flies that are seen almost everywhere. A wound isn't even required. All it takes is a small amount of waste around the cloaca. The flies lay eggs that will hatch into maggots and they will irritate and burrow into the flesh. The maggots choose dead flesh over live but they will certainly eat live flesh when they have no other food source available to them.

Bluebottles (so called) will eat living tissue, whereas Greenbottles only live on dead tissue. Both are blow flies, but of different genera.

The common Bluebottle (Latin name Calliphora vomitora) is the problem one usually. The Greenbottle (Lucilia seratica) is used in medicine as maggot therapy for wounds with a lot of slough and is not a problem.

We are having a problem with flies in wounds on sheep at the moment and I am using veterinary iodine to clean the wound up followed by a thick layer of human antiseptic cream.....and then spraying insect repellant around the area avoiding the open wound. Seems to be working.

Quote:
Is SWAT labled for use in birds? I would say no to ANY pesticide, birds poison very easily unless it is specificly labled for bird use. I have only ever used ivermectin to get rid of mites, but it might also work through the system to kill off any remaining maggots though you would want to be sure and try to get them out of her anyway.
I hope she survives, she sounds like a nice pet.

Here is the info for SWAT Ointment:

: SWAT CLEAR FORMULA. Fly repellent ointment for wounds and sores.

INDICATIONS: Repels House Flies, Stable Flies, Face Flies, and Horn Flies from wounds and open sores. Also kills them on contact. Effective for hours. Colorless Formula.

DIRECTIONS: Read entire label before each use. Use only on dogs, ponies or horses. It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. To treat superficial wounds, abrasions, sores and scratches, apply enough ointment to cover the wound. Apply directly to the wound and use daily. Do not use on animals under 12 weeks. Consult a veterinarian before using this product on debilitated, aged, pregnant, nursing or medicated animals. Sensitivities may occur after using ANY pesticide product for pets. If signs of sensitivity occur, bathe pet with mild soap and rinse with large amounts of water. If signs continue, consult a veterinarian immediately.

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients: Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical (Equivalent to 0.4% (butycarbityl) (6-propylpiperonyl) ether and 0.1% related compounds.), 0.5%. Pyrethrins I%II, 0.2%. Di-n-propyl isocinchomeronate, 1.0%. Other Ingredients: 98.3%.

CAUTIONS: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human use. Wash hands after using. Do not use on animals that are to be used for human consumption.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: This product is toxic to fish. Keep out of lakes, streams, or ponds. Do not apply where runoff is likely to occur. Do not use on animals that are to be used for human consumption

Quote:
With all due respect, I disagree. Green bottle flies are one of the most common species of flies for fly strike. They prefer dead tissue but will eat either. The maggots used in therapy are in a controlled environment and there is little chance of a strike. As I said, they eat the dead tissue before they will eat living tissue.

I had the same problem last week in my post. I washed off as many as I could and all I had at the time was peroxide, which I poured over wound. It killed the ones that were at the service, but they burrow inside and would pop their ugly heads out. I did find SWAT at my local tractor supply. I used a Qtip and applied SWAT. Make sure you read the directions on how often. So far so good. Check her every day and I think they're all gone. I feel for anyone that has to deal with this problem. It's a messy and disgusting problem and what the chicken has to be feeling is unthinkable As I said, my Bobbie is much better but will keep an eye on her for a while. Good luck

I sure hope your baby makes it! It looks like you are doing everything possible you can and doing a great job at it, too! Her picture is kind of sad- with just one lonely tail feather sticking out. But she doesn't look bad overall in her full body shot. I would think you have a very good chance at her full recovery. Maggots are bad, maggots are good- who cares!? I'm glad you are painstakingly picking them out of there and keeping her wound covered with salve and cleaning her up each day. I applaud you for your strong stomach and how well a job you are caring for her!

Back
Top Bottom