Henhouse layout

OHchickens87

Chirping
Jul 17, 2019
Northeast Ohio, USA
I'm working on coop plans and I'm a totally chicken novice. So can I have the nesting box entrance also near the pop door entrance or will that upset the hens to have too much traffic near the nesting boxes.

Picture included. The first nesting box would be about 10 inches away from the corner with the door being 6 inches from that.

Maybe I'm overthinking it I just didnt knowing they needed a more quieter areas.

Attachments

• 20190720_123443.jpg
    20190720_123443.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 11
As @TwoChicksChix suggests, farther away is certainly a good option. Some folks also choose to put drapes over the front entrances of their nest boxes, thereby giving some privacy, and making it darker in the nest box.

I find that since my pop door is open during sunrise to sunset (automatic door), the birds that aren't actively laying aren't in the coop anyway. They are out doing their own thing in the run. So, unless you are keeping your water and feed inside the coop, or you are confining the birds to the coop, the other ones will probably be out in the run doing their own thing.

The only time I have an extra chicken in the coop is if she is actively squawking at the bird who is on the nest, telling her to hurry up. Of course, she's doing that even when there are other nests available, she just wants the one the laying bird is currently sitting on. Special little creatures they are.

we put ours on the far side away from the door as well. And, recently i started putting in extra baskets after they leave the coop for the day and i have noticed they like the one closest to the pop door but surrounded one three of the four sides. Also, I painted the inside of the nesting boxes black and put curtains up to encourage the darkness and privacy they like.

Mine are fairly close to the pop door... maybe about 20" away. It wasn't the original plan but just worked out that way. The chickens do prefer the furthest box but all of the nest boxes get used. Since my boxes are fully internal the side wall of the closest box works fine for providing some amount of privacy.

Back
Top Bottom