Hens afriad of new Duck in flock

Anujin

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
Hi all,

We have a small urban flock of five hens (speckled sussex, buff orpington and easter egger). Earlier this week I adopted a muscovy drake from our city animal shelter, mostly to get the poor thing off of the hot concrete. Our new duck friend is quite cheerful and seems to want to hang out with the hens. We have two backyard coops with attached runs that are connected by a poultry tunnel. Each morning I open the tunnel at both ends and the duck makes a beeline for the hens' coop and all the hens freak out and fly up to the top of the coop and nervously twitter and peek out at the poor lonely duck who sits patiently in the run waiting for a friend.

Is there anything I can do to help foster confidence in the hens that the duck is not going to eat them? Do I just wait it out?

I appreciate any and all experience/tips/comments/questions.

Thanks!
Nora

Ok, I definitely don't want them to be hurt. But don't lots of folks have mixed flocks of ducks and chickens? If we get him a couple lady ducks can they all be together?

When we got our duck, the chicken freaked out. After about a week they became friends-ish. A few years later & now their inseparable. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom