Hens disappearing, now that head rooster was sold?

@fluffycrow @Mrs. K Right now I believe there are around 130 total - 4 young roosters, 30+ laying hens, 40-50 juveniles (2-4 months), and 40-50 in brooders. (I purchased a lot in January thinking to generate revenue from the egg shortage, but missed several calculations like feed cost, overcrowding etc.)

How many of those females are currently breeding/able to breed?

Hi, thanks for your response. I feel terrible. However the head roo, and another cockerel, ware seriously wounding the young pullets. All my spare cages are full with wounded pullets.
Did this behavior start because the coop was overcrowded, or too many roosters? Would the head roo have stopped attacking if the other roosters were removed from the flock?
This head roo was very stately, with excellent situational awareness. Can you recommend a breed with these traits for a head rooster, or can it be cultivated like you said from the friendly rooster of the gang?
I'd say needed characteristics of a head roo are Protectiveness (but not aggression to human because of it), a sharp eye for predators, a calm and providing nature for the hens and pullets, and the want to be with his hens at all time. Also I'd say look for the calmest roo from the rooster flock and make sure you have at least 10 hens per flock. Some calm breeds I'd recommend are Silkies, Polish, most smaller Bantams, Austrolorps, Orpingtons, and French Cuckoo Marans.

Side note, these are breeds I've had personal experiences with and you need to realize that any calm rooster that meets the rooster requirements can be GREAT roos!

Hi, thanks for your responses. One of the other roosters has assumed leadership of the flock (see the pics below). He looks like full Swedish Flower. He is not aggressive, and is on duty all day, but also seems less skilled than the previous head rooster. The previous head rooster would accompany groups of hens while they foraged near the road, and also it seemed like he was orchestrating a crowing call-tag type system, where the roosters would spread out to a few stations around the property, and they would sound off for him. This new rooster mostly stays watch by the entrance of the barn. I suspect one addition hen is gone over the weekend. Do foxes have a thing for hens and not roosters?
IMG_20230702_124504955_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230702_144758925.jpg
The new head rooster is the Swedish Flower on the left; a Brahma rooster his age is second in line, and they get along. The Brahma doesn't do too much except hang with his Brahma hens.
IMG_20230703_062353071.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like overcrowding and too much rooster competition. So how many birds, how many males and females and how old? How big is the coop/run? Do you have a secure run that the flock will fit in?

Not all roosters are good roosters. Some are better at some things and others at other things.

Send some pictures
Ok I just posted some pics.

Did the 3 hens that went missing belong to the Maran you sold?

What are the breeds of the 3 roosters who aren't a problem?
"belong" - he was their main man. The other roosters were like teenagers or deputies hanging around.
The remaining adult (8-12 month) roosters are: Brahma, Leghorn, Ameraucana, and probably Swedish Flower. The Swedish Flower took over, and after him, probably the Leghorn would take over. Both are friendly.

Back
Top Bottom