hens haven't laid in months

ck82

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 6, 2014
My hens have not laid any eggs for about 5 months. I have no idea what is going on. Any suggestions? They were laying really good before they went on strike.

They could have been going through a molt and then the short days hit and stopped their "cycles" Otherwise check for signs of illness.Have you changed their feed or water? I read on here a while back that a ladies quail stopped laying and it was from a chemical in the hose she was using. So it could be something you didnt even know changed although the first 2 reasons are the most likely.

I have no idea either. Since we are rookies, we though our hens would really slow down in the winter and cold. They haven't at all. We decided that since they were pets, and we want them for a long time, that we wouldn't use any artificial light or whatever to keep them laying through the winter. They have really surprised us, and they all, almost lay a egg a day. Sometimes we only get 3, but most often 4. My husband spoils them to the end, but I am out there giving them seeds, meal worms, oatmeal with raisins (warm) on these mornings. I know that we are kind of overboard, but every animal tugs at our heartstrings and makes us this way. Well, what can I say- love your "pets" and children. They keep our souls alive. Thanks

Many things could contribute to this, ask yourself the following questions:

Are they getting a good diet?
Plenty of protein, a good amount of treats, etc. This is especially important if they are molting. Feathers are pure protein, and regrowing them takes good nutritious food.

Are they past their prime?
Usually after two and a half years egg production drops substantially. So you may have some that are ready to go.

Are they healthy?
Bright red combs, clean shiny feathers, average weight for their breed, etc. No signs of parasites, infestations, disease, etc.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, what BarredBuff said + Could they be laying eggs in a "secret location" that you don't know about? In the morning when I go to feed my chickens I do a head count to make sure all of them are there. A couple weeks ago I saw that one was missing so I was looking around but couldn't find her until I heard bawking underneath a tarp where my car jack was and when I lifted the tarp up I found eight or so eggs which thanks to the cool weather were still edible.

How old are they? A pullet will generally lay through her first winter. After that, they go through a molt in the fall and cannot lay eggs during this process. Did you see a lot of feathers lying around a couple of months ago?

Other possibilities are worms. Have they ever been wormed? Have you checked them over for lice/mites? Any stresses in the coop, such as predator losses?

Back
Top Bottom