Hens just stopped :/

Egglayer123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Ireland
Ive have a few different hens along with roosters in my breeding pen! at first the rooster was doing its job (if you know what i mean) and the hen was laying away, now all of a sudden the hens have stopped laying altogether, can any1 tell me why this may be? i went and bought a great big incubator and now i cant even use the thing! any help atol will be greatly appreciated
thanks

There are different reasons hens may stop laying. This time of year in the northern hemisphere it is usually due to a molt. When the days get shorter the hen drops her feathers and grows new ones. She quits laying and uses the nutrients she was using to make eggs to make feathers instead.

Are you seeing more feathers than usual laying around?

I seem to be having the same problem with my two orpington hens. One stopped laying all together (no signs of molting) and I'm lucky if I get at least 3 eggs a week from the other. I haven't done anything different to the coop, they free range all day every day. Funny because when I started with chickens, I had silkies and orpingtons. I was told I wouldn't get as many eggs from the silkies because they are not good layers. I get two eggs a day from my two hens since they started laying. The orps laid all summer up until last month. I haven't been getting many at all from them.

Back
Top Bottom