hens or roosters?

kathrync

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2013
These chicks are between 7-8 weeks of age, and they are supposed to be female. I bought them from a small, local hatchery and found out that they have some bad reviews about the accuracy of their chick sexing. Now I'm worried I may have a bunch of roosters! There are a variety of breeds, so I don't know how they should compare.

Copper Maran:
IMG_6103.jpg

Olive-Egger:
IMG_6108.jpg

Rhode Island Red:
IMG_6111.jpg

Silver Laced Wyandotte:
IMG_6116.jpg

Blue-laced Wyandotte:
IMG_6117.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

Ameracauna:
IMG_6121.jpg

Same silver-laced Wyandotte:
IMG_6123-2.jpg

The only one I am pretty sure about is the olive-egger being a hen. The feathering on the silver-laced Wyandotte looks like hen feathers. I think that Rhode Island Red Roos have blueish tail feathers so I think she is a girl. As for the copper Martin and the blue laced Wyandotte I think they might be roosters. I have no clue about the Americana. You can never be sure totally about the sex of a chicken until he crows or she lays an egg. You have a really nice flock of chickens though!

The only one I am pretty sure about is the olive-egger being a hen. The feathering on the silver-laced Wyandotte looks like hen feathers. I think that Rhode Island Red Roos have blueish tail feathers so I think she is a girl. As for the copper Martin and the blue laced Wyandotte I think they might be roosters. I have no clue about the Americana. You can never be sure totally about the sex of a chicken until he crows or she lays an egg. You have a really nice flock of chickens though!
I have coppers they look exactly like one in pic mine are both hens

Also there are some threads that people sex your chicks for you here is one: " Not sure if you have a pullet or cockerel? Click here! Thread 2". Look that up on BYC and you should see it.

Also there are some threads that people sex your chicks for you here is one: " Not sure if you have a pullet or cockerel? Click here! Thread 2". Look that up on BYC and you should see it.
Thank you! I'll post there :)

Hey folks, Im new here. Its been a while since I've used a message board, but I figured id jump back in. I apologize if im breaking some protocol.

I have 3 15 week old Easter Eggers. Can yall help me determine what sex they are? They aren't crowing yet, which I assumed they would if they were roosters. I have 3 other breeds of chickens, but these are my first EE. Im confused by them for sure.
IMG_4198.JPG

Hey folks, Im new here. Its been a while since I've used a message board, but I figured id jump back in. I apologize if im breaking some protocol.

I have 3 15 week old Easter Eggers. Can yall help me determine what sex they are? They aren't crowing yet, which I assumed they would if they were roosters. I have 3 other breeds of chickens, but these are my first EE. Im confused by them for sure.View attachment 2185105
These look like pullets to me. I know EEs have a small comb, but you would see some lovey sickle feathers by now if you had a roo.

Back
Top Bottom