Hens that keep laying until the day they die? Say hi to the Deathlayer!

Would you be interested in purchasing the "Deathlayer" (Westfaliche Totleger)?

• Yes, yes, yes!!

Votes: 43 59.7%
  • I don't think so

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Honestly, I'm undecided

Votes: 16 22.2%

• Total voters
Unpopular opinion, and im entitled to it but im just not a fan of them visually.

I think they're beautiful! and I want to try sex linking them to Black Copper Marans; because I noticed that my smaller Red Jungle Fowl would rather free range for bugs, moss, grass, and seeds, than eat store bought grains.

Compared to my Buff Orpingtons, which ate a ton of corn, grains, layer pellets, kicked my garden to death, went down the road looking for more food, and eventually they all got eaten by dogs that weren't in my yard.

I decided that 2-4 pound chickens are perfect for me. They just need enough treats to keep them trusting me and coming when I call them, and they never want to leave my yard.

Anyway, I can't eat anything that I raised from babies, taught to trust me, runs to me for help, and calls me mommy~

They're not ugly or anything, just not as metal as their name suggests.
BTW....I don't eat my kids either.:)
I think they're beautiful! and I want to try sex linking them to Black Copper Marans; because I noticed that my smaller Red Jungle Fowl would rather free range for bugs, moss, grass, and seeds, than eat store bought grains.

Compared to my Buff Orpingtons, which ate a ton of corn, grains, layer pellets, kicked my garden to death, went down the road looking for more food, and eventually they all got eaten by dogs that weren't in my yard.

I decided that 2-4 pound chickens are perfect for me. They just need enough treats to keep them trusting me and coming when I call them, and they never want to leave my yard.

Anyway, I can't eat anything that I raised from babies, taught to trust me, runs to me for help, and calls me mommy~

This was taken about a week before one of them started laying. 1 out of 4 are now laying.
PXL_20210113_213806724.jpg

I have two that are growing in my coop outside I think they are approximately 7 to 8 weeks old. Maybe older. I'm thinking one of them is a rooster and one is a hen. The one I think is a rooster has some maroon coloring growing around it saddle area and has bigger waddles and comb. The one I think is a hen does not have the maroon on the saddle. And the comb and waddles are much smaller do they look like I may have one of each? Do I need better pictures. This is just what I had in my phone. I can run out and try and get better of each one. What do you all think?
PXL_20230825_233617196.jpg
PXL_20230825_233650374.jpg
PXL_20230825_233604891.jpg
PXL_20230825_233641221.jpg
PXL_20230825_233641781.jpg

Can you get sex linked chicks from breeding silver with gold Deathlayers?
In order to get sex-linkage we must mate a gold plumage cock to a silver plumage hen. The female chick will take after the sire and be the same ‘gold’ colour and the male chick will take after the dame and be ‘silver’.

Back
Top Bottom