Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Hi Iain,

I had been wondering about why you stopped turning at 21-22 days,instead of 25 days, but then I found the answer at the other thread, becasue they've turned allready....

I was just curious, becasue "by the book" is to stop at 3 days before. I'm here to educated myself, when I can, and share my own knowledge if usefull. Like to have the right knowledge. I've just never done it that way, but I like how you think, and am open to different ideas.
hugs.gif

No problem, it is heartfelt. I guess I follow the grandma and most of the extension office general guidlines. With fresh duck eggs, it seems to make little difference. They just tend to do well, so I don't veer from what I've always done, what mom did, what grandma did. However, the rules are different really with shipped eggs. They need babied, special care, every single possible advantage. I guess I didn't remember the stop turning at day 21 part, or my brain liked its own ideas and refused to see, but I didn't lock down my ducks until yesterday. Every egg is important, so I want to give them every possible advantage I can. I know you understand. (time to go read petes hatch page again)

A bit ago, when the humidity got a bit high, I opened up the bator, and candled. Someeggs are more active than others, all tipped, none pipped. I hope this means they're gonna be on time, but you know how it is when your waiting.
barnie.gif

So what is the right number of geese to have? I live on 4.5 acres and have two ponds. I have 7 adults, hatched 8 this year and have a few more in the incubator. I don't want to over crowed.

I have 9 hatching in the next day. I have 5 externally pipped, 3 internally pipped and one that I think is turned around wrong...not pipped but moving. Will post pictures tomorrow when more is showing.

I have my last waiting list shipment going out tomorrow. I have already 2 more buff pom eggs, 3 giant african eggs, 5 pilgrim/african cross eggs, 5 utility african eggs, and 2 china/african cross eggs if anyone wants them.

I'm not going to set anymore of my eggs this year as I have some others coming to me and I have calls starting up that will take priority over the incubator.

If anyone wants them let me know, otherwise they go to the dogs. Trades are considered too.

Celtic, thanks for the update on yours! Glad you got great results from shipped eggs from here.

I have 9 hatching in the next day. I have 5 externally pipped, 3 internally pipped and one that I think is turned around wrong...not pipped but moving. Will post pictures tomorrow when more is showing.

I have my last waiting list shipment going out tomorrow. I have already 2 more buff pom eggs, 3 giant african eggs, 5 pilgrim/african cross eggs, 5 utility african eggs, and 2 china/african cross eggs if anyone wants them.

I'm not going to set anymore of my eggs this year as I have some others coming to me and I have calls starting up that will take priority over the incubator.

If anyone wants them let me know, otherwise they go to the dogs. Trades are considered too.

Celtic, thanks for the update on yours! Glad you got great results from shipped eggs from here.

if you still have some next month I will take some

So what is the right number of geese to have?  I live on 4.5 acres and have two ponds.  I have 7 adults, hatched 8 this year and have a few more in the incubator.  I don't want to over crowed.

I have 5.3 acres with 29 geese. Brown africans and sebastopols. I keep them in pens and rotate the birds around so they don't over graze the grass. It just depends how much work you want to put into managing them. You could easily have a dozen or more geese and not over crowd anything.

Kawonu,

5/5 with the Buff Pom is more than great, it's perfect, and amazing with shipped goose eggs. We have had two wrong way geese pip back to back weeks with the Sebbie eggs from our youngest girl. The first wrong way hatched fine and is in the brooder.mthe second is working on it this weekend. Keep an eye on that wrong way egg of yours.

Good luck with this years Call Duck hatching and adding to your flock.

Will weigh eggs later today and update how the large set is doing. Have two Sebastopol in lockdown now. 3 more that may go today, or tomorrow for sure.

Back
Top Bottom