Heritage Breeds

harbisgirl

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
N. Cal
Hello all,
I'm contemplating the idea of getting a few ducks. I'd like a Heritage breed. Does anybody have any suggestions? So far I've considered the Muscovy and the Rouen but that’s just because I'm having hard time finding info other breeds (besides size, for meat) - that’s why I'm asking my BYC peeps to chime in. They would be pets. Temperament is critical as they will be pets. And while eggs are a big perk they are not a requirement. It’d be nice if they were pretty
J Their home will be on the outskirts of the property with my other animals (goats, pigs, maybe a mule and some rabbits). They'll all have their own pens but be let out to forage and congregate in a (fenced) area of about an acre of mostly wooded area but with a sunny area of meadow/field. Climate is pretty hot in the summer – upper 90’s in the summer and snows a few times during the winter.

I have a friend who has Muscovy ducks and loves them. I like that they don't need a pond and (most) seem to be friendly. I don't like that they only lay eggs if they're breeding. And I don't like that they don't quack - I love the little quiet contented quack sound that ducks make when foraging :)

I like the Rouen because...well I'm a huge wine lover and their name (allegedly) came from the French "Rhone" which is my favorite wine varietal. Lame reason but there you have it :) Plus I could have alot of fun with their names... They are supposed to be good pasture ducks as well.

Anyway, I wanted to check in with my BYC peeps to see what you all thought and if you had any suggestions.

Hello~

I am in Northern California. This year I got Welsh Harlequin. I love them , but them are more strong in eggs. Not a huge carcass for meat. I have a friend near Sac. She has allot of rare breeds(I think Rouen also) . She has some birds for sale. The ranch is called Yellow Rose Ranch. https://www.facebook.com/yellowroseranch. Best of luck find the right duck.

Hello I have two ducks as pets. By the way, if you actually want them as pets, a whole flock isn't a good idea. They'll prefer each other to you. That's why I only got two as ducklings and they imprinted on me. As for breeds, I've only had cayugas and welsh harlequins. I have to say, welsh harlequins are kinda skittish. I have only had boys btw. My welshie jumps away when I try to pet him, but he'll still come up and nibble on my hand and clothes, so he's fine. Also takes food from my hands xD. Basically he trusts me but doesn't want me to touch him. My cayuga (i've had two in the past and one now) is perfect. He lets me pet him, comes running to me, sits on my lap, talks to me whenever he hears my voice, and the last cayugas were similar. I've had a great expirience with cayugas. I think they're in the meat catagory and I believe they are pretty good moms. I've never had a female though. So I reccomend Cayugas. I personally think they're gorgeous, they're black but around 4 months get a beautiful green shimmer throughout their body. I also hear Pekins and Rouens are good, but Pekins are best for pets. Haven't tried out that theory though.

If you aren't planning on breeding, why only a heritage breed?

This is a list from ALBC's website. Level of threat to breed goes down from left to right.
Ancona

Aylesbury

Magpie

Saxony

Silver Appleyard

Welsh Harlequin Buff or Orpington

Cayuga Campbell

Rouen

Runner or Indian Runner

Swedish

Pretty much any breed will be friendly if you spend ALOT of time with it when they are small. If they are going to be more free range, you need to get a breed that can forage well and take care of itself to a degree. I would suggest a bit more research to find something that truly appeals to you and your wants.

Just chiming in here as you mention a heritage breed and muscovys, however the Scovy aren't a heritage breed.

Khaki Campbell's forage well, lay well
Silver Appleyards lay well for a large breed, and like to stick close to home

Good quality Rouens are hard to come by

Friendly is based on personal concept really. I think ours are friendly because they come when called. They don't however want to be touched or picked up. We can if we need to check them out, but it's not something they really enjoy.

The more ducks you have the more bonded to each other they will be.

Hello~

I am in Northern California. This year I got Welsh Harlequin. I love them , but them are more strong in eggs. Not a huge carcass for meat. I have a friend near Sac. She has allot of rare breeds(I think Rouen also) . She has some birds for sale. The ranch is called Yellow Rose Ranch. https://www.facebook.com/yellowroseranch. Best of luck find the right duck.

Thank you very much :) I'm near Sac so this is great

Hello I have two ducks as pets. By the way, if you actually want them as pets, a whole flock isn't a good idea. They'll prefer each other to you. That's why I only got two as ducklings and they imprinted on me. As for breeds, I've only had cayugas and welsh harlequins. I have to say, welsh harlequins are kinda skittish. I have only had boys btw. My welshie jumps away when I try to pet him, but he'll still come up and nibble on my hand and clothes, so he's fine. Also takes food from my hands xD. Basically he trusts me but doesn't want me to touch him. My cayuga (i've had two in the past and one now) is perfect. He lets me pet him, comes running to me, sits on my lap, talks to me whenever he hears my voice, and the last cayugas were similar. I've had a great expirience with cayugas. I think they're in the meat catagory and I believe they are pretty good moms. I've never had a female though. So I reccomend Cayugas. I personally think they're gorgeous, they're black but around 4 months get a beautiful green shimmer throughout their body. I also hear Pekins and Rouens are good, but Pekins are best for pets. Haven't tried out that theory though.

Thank you - I've heard great things about the Cayuga's. I won't have a whole flock - probably a male and female pair. If the males are that friendly that must be good :)

Back
Top Bottom