Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

When we had out hatchery birds we got a few that had a tiny bit of blood on the shell. Too much stretching I guess
idunno.gif
Do ye' think? lol

No blood. She acts like it's no big deal but that would have been a big deal for goose!
lau.gif

EDIT:In the unlikely event this is a single, I will re-consider her fate. I don't think chickens of her age/size should be expected to lay such big eggs though, no matter how much I might even like to have a bunch that could Lay these (comfortably).

Last edited:
I got an egg today that, in and of it's self, is not a 'monster' but the pullet that laid it is not more than 8 months old and actually, I feel a bit sorry for her.

I don't let these youngsters in with the laying flock 'til spring and I was there...almost when she laid it, so there is no doubt in my mind about who 'suffered' in this production.
hit.gif
It's big enough to be a 'tripple'. My customers would love this to be a very common occurrence (none will ever see it) but I won't put up with it.

The pullet is acting fine but this is the kind of situation that causes prolapse and if I see her lay another one or two, she gets the blade, as much for her sake as anything else. My cleaning gal is picking up 'essentials' a bottle of Turkey and when she gets back, I'll see if she will photo it with her phone.
Glad you have your priorities straight before this ICE comes your way.
lau.gif

It was -13 here at 4 this morning.
Minus 11 here at 6:30. I was stunned the school district didn't call a 2 hour delay. Poor kids had to wait at the bus stop.
sigh, I am real tired of these extreme cold snaps. So sad for those in Georgia and the South. Stay Home! Up here
we just cocoon in for the duration when we get weather like that. Even here in western PA we wouldn't take this kind
of ice lightly. very serious stuff. We have a camp stove and buy those small round canisters of propane. Can cook all
kinds of stuff on them out in the garage, not in the house. get out the sleeping bags in case you lose electricity.
Take care, be safe.
Best,
Karen It's so cold here, even the ice is frozen!!

Last edited:
Minus 11 here at 6:30. I was stunned the school district didn't call a 2 hour delay. Poor kids had to wait at the bus stop.
sigh, I am real tired of these extreme cold snaps. So sad for those in Georgia and the South. Stay Home! Up here
we just cocoon in for the duration when we get weather like that. Even here in western PA we wouldn't take this kind
of ice lightly. very serious stuff. We have a camp stove and buy those small round canisters of propane. Can cook all
kinds of stuff on them out in the garage, not in the house. get out the sleeping bags in case you lose electricity.
Take care, be safe.
Best,
Karen It's so cold here, even the ice is frozen!!
So much for global warming in SC. It's 25 here with 6-7 " of snow, with an inch of ice expected to cover all that today. I kept saying that the birds knew something in the South.Just got fertile eggs this week, so if the birds are right, we'll have decent weather in about 3 weeks. In the meantime...

All covered runs are completely enclosed in clear tarps. A good thing, as we have 25 MPH winds with this stuff. The birds are happy to stay in. They took one look at the snow pelting down yesterday,and promptly marched back inside.I was busy knocking all the heavy, wet stuff off my overhead lines and netting.I then double fed, and watered, making sure the water heaters were working. Since I live on the side of a hill, I may not make it up to the coops today, if it ices completely over.Even with the bone density of a ditch digger, I don't want to break a hip.

In the house we're in good shape. Whole house generator keeps things going, if we loose power. By Friday the 4 dogs , cat, and we are probably going to be stir crazy though ! Hope everybody else is coping well. Sorry we're sending this stuff North in a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom