Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Do some hens become fertile later in the year than others?

One of my hens was not fertile early last year, when the male and all the other hens were fertile. Late Spring, I put her in isolation with the male, keeping him with her until she produced fertile eggs. She then produced 100% fertile eggs with one of the best hatch rates. Her offspring were some of the best from that year, that's why I wanted to use her for breeding again.

Now, I seeing a repeat of the fertility issue. I don't think that the male is to blame because the other hens are producing fertile eggs. I've tried keeping the male with her, instead of rotating him to the other pens. Still no fertile eggs. I tried putting another hen in the run, to see if watching another hen get bred would help. Nope.

Weather has been either rain or pleasant, warm weather, so that's not to blame. These are Dorkings, so fluff can't be to blame. I did wash them to make sure that there wouldn't be any contamination from manure.

So he doesn't mate her?

Maybe keep him with the other hens but where he can see her and then every couple days put him in with her and give them some privacy. Some people think roosters need it! I just wait... it doesn't take long.

Yes, he does mate her. Repeatedly. Yet, her eggs aren't fertile.

My usual routine is to move the male every day or two, to another hen's pen. He usually doesn't like being handled, but now he knows what I want him to do. When I carry him to a hen, he breeds her as soon as I put him down.

I did keep him and the infertile hen together alone, for almost a week. Still no fertile eggs. So, I put another hen with them, to see if that would boost her fertility somehow. That didn't work either.

Both of those heating systems look very efficient.

@ Wisher 1000..You have West Virginia to thank for all the success now enjoyed by the 'Tide'. We produced him but he is a mite head strong and couldn't deal with the winters here so he had to move south...
lau.gif

All kidding aside, He's one of the best coaches college football has ever seen.

This is the one I use, the boys (with their Dad's help) made it for me for Christmas two years ago. Of course, I bought all the stuff, printed off the instructions, and put it in a bag and gave it to them and said, "Here is what I want for Christmas." The boys had a good time and loved that they made me something that I actually use.

http://sugarpeafarm.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-waterer-heater-for-chickens.html
I looked at this heater and saw where the wire was going through a hole in the metal wall of the cookie tin without protection, if you build this one try and route the wire through the "pipe" or find a small protective device for just such a problem.

Yes, he does mate her. Repeatedly. Yet, her eggs aren't fertile.

My usual routine is to move the male every day or two, to another hen's pen. He usually doesn't like being handled, but now he knows what I want him to do. When I carry him to a hen, he breeds her as soon as I put him down.

I did keep him and the infertile hen together alone, for almost a week. Still no fertile eggs. So, I put another hen with them, to see if that would boost her fertility somehow. That didn't work either.
Have you put any other rooster's with her? I was thinking this might be one of those instances where Vicky talks about the hen rejecting the cock because he is the same one as last year. If you have another, try putting him with her instead and then after a while put your preferred one with her. In the meantime, you can find out if another cock brings about fertile eggs.

This is the one I use, the boys (with their Dad's help) made it for me for Christmas two years ago. Of course, I bought all the stuff, printed off the instructions, and put it in a bag and gave it to them and said, "Here is what I want for Christmas." The boys had a good time and loved that they made me something that I actually use.

http://sugarpeafarm.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-waterer-heater-for-chickens.html
Those work fine, but chicken litter and tin don't work well together. That's why I used the PVC.

Both of those heating systems look very efficient.

@ Wisher 1000..You have West Virginia to thank for all the success now enjoyed by the 'Tide'. We produced him but he is a mite head strong and couldn't deal with the winters here so he had to move south...
lau.gif

All kidding aside, He's one of the best coaches college football has ever seen.
I'd say he's the second best coach of all time.........and we've had 'em both! Roll Tide!

Quote:
I agree Dragonlady, that can be problematic. I put it on top of a concrete block and the waterer on top of that. It keeps the litter out of the water and off the tin. I didn't use it at all last winter (2012/2013) and only twice this winter. If I had to deal with the winters y'all get, I would definitely need that heavy duty one you use!

Getting chicks in a month can't wait...! I was wondering out of curiosity if chicks are sent half way across the country usually 2 day mail are they sent by air or by a rig for people who ship chicks? I ordered last year from same source and no deaths at all, hoping I get same results this year.

If it's by rig then that driver should get bonus for delivering livestock safely. Truckers can drive for 11-12 hours then they by law they need to take a 10 hour break. That's why I'm trying to get my CDL so I can make customers happy. America runs by trucks.

Back
Top Bottom