Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but there were some very fine birds at this show, mostly in the bantam class but also very respectable birds in the feathered legged classes as well. I think this show probably has gravitated to being mostly those two classes.

There was a distinct good ol' boy network there and a nice camaraderie among a handful of the men...you could tell they were familiar with one another and were having a good time competing. That was nice to see and I'm sure if I were a competitive type person and enjoyed such events, I'd start fitting in soon enough at this particular show if I attended year after year...I'm a friendly person and never have any trouble talking to strangers, so it's not too hard to get acquainted if you really want to do so. I especially enjoy talking to old farmer men and have had a fondness for them all my life...remind me of my grandpa.

I was proud of my birds and how they looked and the one fella even joked about how he'd like to hire me to get his birds ready for show, said his never looked that good.

I could tell my birds were uncomfortable, though...probably due to not being used to being confined in small spaces and my pullet really wanted to lay but just couldn't do it in that cage, so she was panting most of the day though it was not real hot in there after they turned down the heat, and I had a great cage location n near the open doors. When she got home she went straight to the nest, though she is normally an early layer and she finally got to turn that egg loose. Felt sorry for the poor thing.

One amusing thing...when engaged in conversation with the one fella, I could tell that most everything I was talking about in regards to how my chickens live was a foreign language to him and he kept giving me weird looks. Finally declared that he didn't know his chickens all that well and that I must have "pet" chickens. I had to have a chuckle about that...these birds are hardly ever handled and are certainly no pets. I could tell he didn't grasp the aspect of having a working partnership with a flock as their steward, not their owner. I know my birds well because they are not confined in a building that I only enter to feed them and collect their eggs...they are often in my visual field for most of the day as I work outside and they range out in front of me. I don't own a TV, so I watch the birds a good deal and try to learn their natural behaviors and individual traits and personalities. I don't call that making pets out of them, I call that good stewardship. He didn't seem to understand a thing I said in that conversation, so it was like visiting a foreign land and not knowing how to speak the language.
tongue.png

My first show to attend (other than the poultry exhibit at the fair when I was a kid) was small. I only talked to the lady I was meeting there to pick up birds. The second show I ever attended, and had birds entered in, was the Ohio Nationals. I met TONS of breeders, exhibitors, experts, and found them all to be friendly, helpful, and generous. There was one old farmer who scowled at me a couple of times, but he was mad that his (grown) nephew was talking to me instead of helping him sell the birds they had brought. I have had nothing but good experiences at poultry shows and find that, while there is a lot of truly friendly competition, most just enjoy the fellowship with like minded people and seeing old friends. There is a lot of chicken talk, and a lot of laughing. One of my favorite times is breakfast at the hotel. I go early and try to talk to everyone that is there for the show. I have learned that if you ask questions, and then really listen to the answer, they do not mind at all sharing their knowledge. There is one fellow that seemed gruff and standoffish to me at first, but I watched him and noted that he was warm and funny with the other breeders. I made it a point to get to know him and to make sure he got to know me. I picked on him a bit in passing and before long he was picking back. I look forward to seeing him and talking to him at every show I attend.

Bee, I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time, but I just can't understand how our experiences could be so different..... Maybe it is like George said, just depends on the show.

Last edited:
That and just individual interests. It would be like expecting a guy to find much interest in a quilting show, I guess, or me visiting a political convention...ick.
big_smile.png
I'm sure if I were more interested in competing with chickens I would have loved it, no matter how small the show, but it felt rather like trying on a shoe that just didn't fit and wasn't comfortable for walking.

Last edited:
H,
frow.gif

How is everyone doing? Got the tree removed from the smashed poultry yard.
Now just need to take the year to reset and start again with White Chanteclers.
Best,
Karen

New starts are always exciting - Good Luck and great hatches
thumbsup.gif
Yeah, but I do so miss my Light Sussex.
sad.png
Such quality in that flock took 3 years to put it together and $$$.
Well Hellbender has lovely White Chantecler. I know with the right management I can win with them too. I sure hope Farmer Karl takes my advice and shows those Sussex at Columbus. The LS cockerel which came in 2nd @ Columbus 2 years ago was a close relative of the birds in my flock.
Oh well, onward and upward,
Karen

Last edited:
I have just realized how far I've come with the Silver Campines and I am thrilled. The first couple of years were spent trying to gather stock and dealing with bad luck. The next couple of years I hatched every egg my hens laid between the first of December and the first of June, which wasn't many. I did that last season and managed to hatch (with some help and tears) about 200 chicks and to raise most of those, but had a hard time finding the 12 I wanted to use for this spring's hatch. They were not perfect, but a sight better than what I started with. This year, I have collected that many eggs in six weeks! I have had great hatch rates, and vigor so far. I had my first 100% hatch rate with one batch and the lowest was 85%. The chicks are poppin out of the shells and running around eating and drinking within an hour of hatch. Time will tell if the quality of this springs chicks is as good as the vigor has been, but I have high hopes! I am just thrilled with my progress and with my birds.

I have just realized how far I've come with the Silver Campines and I am thrilled. The first couple of years were spent trying to gather stock and dealing with bad luck. The next couple of years I hatched every egg my hens laid between the first of December and the first of June, which wasn't many. I did that last season and managed to hatch (with some help and tears) about 200 chicks and to raise most of those, but had a hard time finding the 12 I wanted to use for this spring's hatch. They were not perfect, but a sight better than what I started with. This year, I have collected that many eggs in six weeks! I have had great hatch rates, and vigor so far. I had my first 100% hatch rate with one batch and the lowest was 85%. The chicks are poppin out of the shells and running around eating and drinking within an hour of hatch. Time will tell if the quality of this springs chicks is as good as the vigor has been, but I have high hopes! I am just thrilled with my progress and with my birds.

That's fantastic! Any photos?

Back
Top Bottom