Hermaphrodite chickens?

I have 4 hens who are about 9 months old, all are laying but lately I've been finding firtilized eggs. I'm wondering if I have one with both genders fully functioning.

I have 4 hens who are about 9 months old, all are laying but lately I've been finding firtilized eggs. I'm wondering if I have one with both genders fully functioning.
What criteria are you using to say your eggs are fertile?
do you have pics of your birds?

It was quite hard to get a decent picture

I
I dont but I can post some later, I'm actually finding formed fetuses in some eggs
I've had roosters with my layer flock for 20 years and have never found an embryo in an egg. How would that be happening--do you have a hen setting on eggs? Embryonic development only takes place after an egg has been incubated for I think 5 days........something sounds really off here.

I've had roosters with my layer flock for 20 years and have never found an embryo in an egg. How would that be happening--do you have a hen setting on eggs? Embryonic development only takes place after an egg has been incubated for I think 5 days........something sounds really off here.
We were out of town for a week and our neighbor was just feeding them not collecting the eggs, we also have a heat lamp in the coop I dont know if that could have anything to do with it?

Last edited:

We were out of town for a week and our neighbor was just feeding them not collecting the eggs, we also have a heat lamp in the coop I dont know if that could have anything to do with it?
Are you sure it's not just a "meat spot" that you're seeing? I don't see any veining in this egg that might indicate fertilization and embryonic development.

ETA - after enlarging the photo, it does look like an embryo, but the lack of veins baffles me if that's what it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom