Hi all, Hope you all don't take this wrong but, you need to read up!!

That applies to estsblished farms prior to urban encroachment... Not any mention about keeping poultry inside city limits on nonestablished farms...

Last edited:
Quote:
This is actually not correct; a code, ordance or regulation is a law, however these are local and limited in scope. Laws work like the layers of an onion, villiage/town/city laws are at the center, county laws are the next layer, state law the next layer and federal law is the outer lyer. Two things come into play in determinng whether a law affects you: subject matter and jurisdiction. The subject matter must be relevent and applicable to you and the entity charged with enforcing the law has to have the power to impose the law upon you.

Phyllis

Last edited:
Wow, this "right to farm" state law thing sounds like the salvation for most folks. I'll pass it on to my friends with their pet chickens on my place and suggest they look into it. They can certainly claim to have them for their eggs.

Thanks for the enlightenment and encouragement.

A Code is more like a rule, or I guess you could say, because it Is inforceable, it is the weakest form of a law. That is why it is enforced by a code officer and until lately, he wasn't even sworn in.
If it were considered a law, Why don't the police come tell you to get rid of your chickens?
Also Folks, The Right to farm law we are talking of here is Michigans and every states is different, Michigans being considered the strongest.
It also applies to all Place's that produce a product by agricultural Means, or farms, new and old as long as it is considered to be commercial in nature and you practice GAAMP's.
I understand that there is some talk of changeing the law to only apply to 50 animal units or more [ 2000 chickens ].
If they do, we all need to give Lansing a visit, although, I think they would have to work real hard to change it? We'll see........

Back
Top Bottom