Hi, I'm a newbie

jemini212

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2016
County durham, UK
Hey all, I'm from County Durham UK. In April I inherited an allotment with 2 hens after being on the waiting list for 11 years. The previous owner never shut the coop on nights and it turns out after 25 years the fox managed to get in and kill over 40 hens. The two hens have laid right throughout even after adding 14 Pullets, changing/painting things, imposing strict bedtimes and general change in carerakers. The fox must not have traumatised them too much. The whole set-up was pretty much there, all I needed were chickens, food and bedding. There is 3 separate areas of land, a coop with 6 nest boxes and a large converted stable with 25 nest boxes. I straight away set about building perches and shelves into the stable because I was not allowing them to sleep outside and giving a general tidy and lick of paint to everywhere. Outside we built a large tray to fill with sand and a couple of perches for the day. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am getting 13 eggs per day and I can tell the older ones eggs from the pullets so I guess 3 still need to lay.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It sounds like you inherited quite a project and well done on what you've done with it! We have a good few members from England here, if you'd like to meet some of them, check in here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england/0_30

Thanks alot, will certainly check this out. Yes It seems that out of this poor guys misfortune I have benefitted. I feel bad for him. I promised him 6 eggs weekly since he left his stuff behind and otherwise would have cost me hundreds to have a set-up like this

This is my coop with the 6 boxes. It is separate from the others so I put my 5 chicks in here to keep them away from the pullets

This is our spare land at the moment which we are sorting out to give more space for when all are housed together.

This is the current outdoor areas for our 14 pullets and 2 hens

Here are some from inside the stable

There is a separate room off to the left side of last photo which contains the 25 nest boxes but there was a queue of traffic so didn't want to upset them. The whole stable is like the size of a bungalow. I can't believe the previous owner only gave them floor space, so much more surface area now for them to go now

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You did a great job with the coop! And the birds are just adorable!
love.gif
Looks like they have a wonderful home with you.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

Thanks for posting the pics, I love what you have done for your new flock.

Love the paint job on the coop - such a happy home for those gals.

I have to admit the multicolour one was a pain to do as the colours kept running and because it was dark green before it needed 3 coats
But not bad for 4 small tins of fence paint (less than £20) but I stuck with a dark oak when doing the outside of the stable lol.

I have to admit the multicolour one was a pain to do as the colours kept running and because it was dark green before it needed 3 coats
But not bad for 4 small tins of fence paint (less than £20) but I stuck with a dark oak when doing the outside of the stable lol.

IMO worth the effort - great painting!

Back
Top Bottom