Hidden Forest Coop

Pics
Here's my 3-day-old chicks. I've discovered that it's hard to take good pictures of them. I think this one is a Welsummer. Maybe a Cuckoo Maran? Left to right in front; Black Australorp?, Golden Buff? and a Golden Laced Wyandotte? Penguiny looking one in the back might be a Barred Rock.
The one on the front right may be the EE cant see the feer so cant be positive. Sry for your loss.

They are sooo cute!! I think the one with the white spot is the barred rock and the black and white one in the very back looks like my BA chick.

Here's my 3-day-old chicks. I've discovered that it's hard to take good pictures of them.
I think this one is a Welsummer.

Maybe a Cuckoo Maran?

Left to right in front; Black Australorp?, Golden Buff? and a Golden Laced Wyandotte?
Penguiny looking one in the back might be a Barred Rock.
I take my first guess back, the one on the right front is your GLW and the one all the way in the back behind your black australorp is the EE i can tell by the head markings it looks just like mine did at that age i couldnt see it well on my phone lol. The chick on the front left is your BR for sure.
jumpy.gif

I take my first guess back, the one on the right front is your GLW and the one all the way in the back behind your black australorp is the EE i can tell by the head markings it looks just like mine did at that age i couldnt see it well on my phone lol. The chick on the front left is your BR for sure.
jumpy.gif
Thanks. I looked very closely at all the chicks again and with your comments, realized I had probably identified 5 out of the 7 wrong. I think the chick we lost was the GLW and the one we thought was a GLW is the EE.

Trying it again. From left to right in front: Barred Rock, Golden Buff, and Easter Egger. In back, a Cuckoo Maran with a Welsummer peeking around her.

And this is the Black Australorp.

But probably have it wrong again. We'll see in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I just added a PVC feeder to the chicken coop.
Here is what it looks like behind the wall of the nesting boxes and the "utility room". The bottom left square is my utility room. It's where I have an electrical outlet and where I'll add the opening for filling the PVC feeder.

I've moved some of the dividers out of the way and cut a 4" hole in the floor of the coop. The end of a 4" PVC pipe is sticking up through the floor.

On the end of that PVC pipe I put an 90º elbow followed by a tiny piece of pipe and a 45º elbow. Next is another tiny piece of pipe and a cap fitting that ends right at the egg door.

Here's the view from the egg door side.

And here I've replaced the panel (which now has a hole for the elbow).

The view from underneath. I used two 45º elbows to make the turn so that it wouldn't be so abrupt and hopefully the feed will flow a little better.

Then, because I'm obsessive, I took a piece of drainage pipe, cut a slit down its side and slipped it around the PVC so it would be a little more hidden. I could have painted it instead but the chickens first job would probably be to scratch the paint off it.

I then made a little template for jigsawing a hole for the chickens to get to the food.

I had room for three holes and ended up making the middle one a little smaller. And to finish it, I put a cap on the end. None of the pipes are glued together at this point. They seem to fit well with just a friction fit. Only thing I'm not happy about is that there isn't an easy way to raise the height of it other than replacing the main vertical pipe with a shorter piece of pipe. My "Chicken Testing" is going to have to wait a while to see how well it works. My chicks are just a week old now.

You'll want something to protect the feed from water that will sprinkle in during rain. Maybe a piece of plastic against the netting or something. That is going to get wet if you leave it like that, even under the roof. Water dripping from the roof will throw around mud over a foot in the air and even further sideways.

Back
Top Bottom