Hidden Forest Coop

Pics
Awesome coop, you should post in the coop pictures.

Those are some lucky chickens.

Too bad you have to hide your coop, it deserves a coop tour.

A couple of folks commented on crowing will reveal to all. But the girls do get loud and proud over their egg laying. And when more than one singing, it is very, very loud. Don't know how close your neighbors are, but if you have to hide the coop, bet you they will hear them in a few months. Hope they are friendly people and like eggs.

I think it is absurd that anyone can have dog kennels in their yards but our pet chickens don't get the same respect. So if anyone gives you a hassle, let them know these are just a new breed of dog that can lay eggs?
Thanks. I'll post in the coop thread after I get the chickens in it (maybe tomorrow). My closest neighbor is 101 feet away and the second closest is maybe 150 feet away. I think sound-wise I'll be ok but I've never raised chickens before so I don't know. The county regulations say that the coop has to be at least 100 feet away from the nearest neighbor and 25 feet from the property line and my coop satisfies those requirements. I put the coop in what any sane person would call my "backyard", but according to the county, it is my "side yard" and the county regulations say it is only suppose to be in the back yard.

Maybe I can teach them to bark when they lay?

Thanks. I'll post in the coop thread after I get the chickens in it (maybe tomorrow). My closest neighbor is 101 feet away and the second closest is maybe 150 feet away. I think sound-wise I'll be ok but I've never raised chickens before so I don't know. The county regulations say that the coop has to be at least 100 feet away from the nearest neighbor and 25 feet from the property line and my coop satisfies those requirements. I put the coop in what any sane person would call my "backyard", but according to the county, it is my "side yard" and the county regulations say it is only suppose to be in the back yard.

Maybe I can teach them to bark when they lay?

Probably ought to go ahead and start teaching them to bark, unless your neighbors all have day jobs. As they get to teenage they honk like geese as their voices change, so, so funny. When they start to lay, some will be quiet, others fuss loudly if their favored nest is occupied, and others are bold and proud of their eggs and sing quite well, but loud. If they go broody they cluck, cluck, cluck and have irritable conflict with their friends. Even the most well behaved flock will have some episodes of screech over who ate the last worm or that's my place on the roost. I can hear mine from inside my house with all double glassed windows, dishwasher, washer dryer and radio on! They are quiet most of the time with sweet little chicken sounds. Some are quiet layers, others are very bold and proud.

But the noisy times are early in the day. By afternoon, all have laid and then they communicate with sweet little voices again.

Really nice and gives me some ideas on the coop I'm building now. Like the Attention to detail

Drainage Update: Hopefully this is my last fix for the drainage problem. I was still having a little leakage through one side of the coop's foundation when there was a heavy rain. To hopefully fix it, from inside the coop, I dug out most of the gravel from under the concrete blocks along the uphill side and replaced them with the stickiest clay I could find on my property. I'm hoping it'll help keep the water on the outside of the blocks where the drain pipe is sitting. We've had a pretty good rain since then with no leaks although it wasn't one of the torrential ones we sometimes get. I've got my fingers crossed. It was kind-of a last effort before sticking the chickens in there.

Here are some pictures from their first week in the coop.

Taking a dustbath.

Coming down the ramp for the first time.

Checking out the tree they will soon destroy.

Watching an unfortunate caterpillar that wandered into the coop.

Awesome is the only word I can think of! Your babies are quite lucky to have you as their 'human'. Hopefully they will reward you, and your neighbors to many delicious eggs in the days ahead. And the children (I assume yours) will reap many wonderful memories because of your efforts. Congrats to you on a job well done.
highfive.gif

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom