High Desert, California!!

So - I just registered and this is my first post. I wanted to start here because I live in Joshua Tree CA and am hoping to get a few chickens this spring but want to get an idea of what's involved first. I plan on spending some time in the FAQ thread for sure but am sure I will have many questions specific to the desert. I'm so excited and hope this is something that is doable out here! Looking forward to getting help and support from y'all
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
to the BYC high desert and etc. Many of us high desert folks raise chickens for a variety of reasons. My reasons, I like to have a source for home grown eggs and vegetables, second I find animals fun and a fascinating learning experience, third, I have met very nice and interesting folks who also raise birds and chickens.

Next on your list should be (in addition to the focus of why you want to have chickens, and this will help determine what type to start with) is that although it is easy, it is a responsibility and will cost you a few cents and time until you have the basics. The basics are protection from the elements and predators, nutrition and water. So you will need shade, fencing, water and the means to feed the birds. Usually in the desert one needs extra protection form the sun and since the brutal sun wipes out most usual vegetation such as grasses, you will need a good supply of grains etc. In areas where chickens can forage for grasses, other plants and insects (well Jack"You have it made in the shade"). Around here I use shade cloth and lots of water to cool my buddies off. We have three month of triple digit heat so I provide water for my buddies to walk in. I call that foot baths. They love it even though they are not ducks.

So when you have arranged all of that, you might learn that chickens are not all the birds that could be interesting.
pop.gif
Soon you might be thinking of DUCKS, and QUAIL and maybe even a few bigger birds and a goat or two.
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Welcome, You will find alot of info here. I was a lurker for about 18 months before I signed up with an account. Dont forget our winters can be as bad as our summers, your chickens will need shelter from the cold, wind and snow..... not usually a heated place but a place to get out of the weather and be draft free.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Summers are hot, so lots of shade and access to water is a must. Our winters are cold and we get strong winds, so they will need a good, solid coop. The general rule of themb is 4 sq. ft. per large fowl chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft per chicken in the run. That also assumes that the chickens will be stuck inside during the winter. Since that is rarely the case here, we have found the chickens have plenty of room with ~ 3 sq. ft. per bird since they are only in there to lay eggs and sleep. 10 sq. ft. per bird...well, if you ask my chickens, it isn't enough, but they are spoiled.
lol.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I've been spending so much time on the "Raising baby chicks" and "Coops" threads that I didn't see all the nice replies. I amd so excited!! I will be getting my babies in two days and think I'm pretty much ready. My husband will be starting on their coop this weekend. I figure they will bein the brooder in the garage for at least a month if not more depending on our weather so he has plenty of time to gitter done.

Thanks again and I'll be back!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm from Lancaster..My family and I just moved here a few years ago from the San Fernando Valley. We kept a few chickens there but have not kept any here until now. I'd like to know if my coop will need to be insulated since there are some pretty cold night temps during the winter here? Or should a well-built and "solid" coop be fine without the insulation? I haven't built the coop yet because the chickens are still babies and it's still cold outside. btw, thanks for this thread!

Quote:
Hi!
welcome-byc.gif
I've been staying in Lancaster for work recently! (After long days in the field, I don't want to drive 71 miles back to my house and the company will pay for a hotel room.
hide.gif
). As for the coop, a solid, well ventilated, but non-drafty coop will be fine. Hesperia is usually the same temp (give or take a few) from Lancaster and we don't insulate ours. Our girls are fine.
big_smile.png
Their down feathers keep them toasty.

Last edited:
ChicksterJo Ya those of us further north in the Ridgecrest/Inyokern area will definitely second that : no insulation needed especially since the summers become so intense. With insulation the coop wold turn into an oven and remain hot well into the night. In the summer, your flock will appreciate some shady place to rest in middle of the day as they tolerate cold much more than heat.

Thanks, I am new to having chickens in the high desert. Coming from the San Fernando Valley, when we had chickens they could be out and about most of the year and we didn't have to worry about really cold winters.

Back
Top Bottom