High Desert, California!!

Many chickens seem to tolerate the COLD much better than the intense heat. Of course prolonged freezing can give large combs and wattles frostbite. That is why I prefer chicken breeds small wattles or none and pea combs. I do not want my birds to have frostbite. San Fernando Vally weather is certainly much more mild than the high desert. Yes it is much colder here but I am trying to remind you of the summer weather as well. My chickens are out and about all year as well, they are inside to lay in the nest box and roost at night.

Do you have any chickens at this point ?

Quote:

Last edited:
My flock is a mixed bunch 2 welsummers, I love their big dark eggs and personality, 1 brabanter because she is pretty and her eggs are white and a good size compared to her size, 1 Dominique because of their history, personality and the fact that they are barred, 1 EE that I raised and incubated myself she makes wonderful golden green eggs large size and 1 Buff orpington because I wanted to try that breed since they have a reputation for being good broodies. Also In my house I have 1 White Showgirl hen who is the foster mother for 30 chicks of various breeds. I have two potential customers for the EEs. Plan on keeping turken, red polish and two Gold Spangled Hamburgs. I am interested in breeding crested naked neck EEs. Of course I still want to have my dark and white eggs. I love a colorful basket of eggs and crazy chickens.

My family thinks that I am ",,,,,,,," well you know what I mean

Wow that's a nice variety. I'm thinking of getting Welsummers..do you have any recommendations on where I could get them in the spring? I can't keep any chickens in the house once it's warm out
lol.png
my family also thinks that I'm a little too
jumpy.gif
about chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Van Dam feed store out on 90th gets chicks in when it warms up but I dont know what they will have. I have Marans I might be breeding in the spring if you are just interested in the dark eggs.

That would be great, Nosey!! What kind of marans? I have been looking into them because I did just want dark eggs (even though I've heard great things about welsummers) but I didn't know where to get marans, either, unless I had them shipped.
btw, do you make jewelry, too?

Last edited:
Quote:
They are BCM (black copper). I am honestly not sure about their quaility. But I was going to start working with them as soon as my new males are old enough. I have been focused on my Ameraucanas, Polish and Runner Ducks

Yes I do make jewelry from feathers and pressed flowers. I just opened up a new store on Etsy today.

Oh and FYI there is a poultry show in Bakersfield on the 5th of March (next Sat). It is a bantam only show, but they are fun to go to. It's at the fairgrounds.

I think I'm a little obsessed with chickens now..chicken math's got to me. I've wanted Ameraucanas but was only able to find EE's. Are you planning on selling Ameraucanas as well? I'd be happy getting a couple of BC marans. I also make jewelry but I end up not selling any of my pieces because I get attached to them. I don't know if I'll be able to attend, since gas prices are going up I'd rather stay home even if I don't want to.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes I will have Ameraucanas for sale soon. I am setting some more in about a week. The picture in my avatar is one from my breeding pair. I have a couple pictures of them on my BYC page.

I would love to have a couple of them. I'm not sure whether I will get a pullet from any of my EE's, but I just love their puffy cheeks and their personalities. Ok, let me know when your chicks are ready to go, Nosey, and I'll stop on by!

I've read a little about what the Victorville show was like, and I wish I could have gone to that one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom