hip out of joint

LADYBUG1

Hatching
9 Years
May 28, 2010
I have finally figured out why my baby chick (miss Libby) can't stand. It seems her leg is out of joint with her hip bone. It is really wierd cause when the light was on her her legs were out behind her and now her little leg is more in front of her and a little of to the side. Is there a way to pop the joint back in. Please help cause I am new with chickens and don't know that much about them except that I really love having them and taking care of them. My other 12 chicks which are older just went outside in a larger pen today and it is so funny to watch their antics.

I have had a few ducks hatch from time to time with leg problems- and what I have learnt is that if you dont treat a dislcoation fairly quickly- the skin muscles and tendons may shrink making it very much harder to fix. Shock is very common in birds too- so it hepls to know what you are doing if you try to relocate a bone. If her hip is dislocated- it may need a trip to the vet- or at least to someone who has had previous experince with chickens - to get it back into place.

If she was incubated and not broody hatched, she may have a shallow hip joint. One of mine did, and another needed some binding, but the one with the very shallow joint had to be culled.

The last chick to hatch under my broody a couple of months ago had this problem. My daughter designed a harness and splint out of a toilet paper roll to hold his hip in the socket, but his overall condition deteriorated over several days and I made the decision to put him down. If you're able to reduce the dislocation and support it in place with a binding it might grow into the correct position. Is the baby eating and drinking? How old is s/he?

Miss Libby is about 2 1/2 weeks old. She is eating and drinking but seems to use her wings to get around. She flaps them and it turns her in the direction she wants to go. I might try to build her a little harness to hold the leg in closer to her body. She can move the other leg and keep it under her. I just hate to give up on her but I also don't want her to suffer.

I have one that is having the same problem. Thought I was going to have to put her down because she couldn't walk. She was hobbling around. I put her in my lap and turned her on her back after she calmed. I sat there with her checking for any injuries but couldn't find one. Then I heard a couple of pops. I put her down to record how she was getting around so I could come on here and get some help but she could walk right again. Slow but she seemed better as long as she was slow about it. I have her separated from the rest of the flock. I don't know if this is something she will always have a problem with her hip popping out of joint or not hopefully someone on here has had the same experience and can give dome advice.

Back
Top Bottom