Homemade Duck Ponds? Pics?

dnowa1975

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Kent City, Michigan
Hello All

I'm pretty new here but have been reading for a while...
I have 4 ducks that are about 1 1/2 years old now and am trying to come up with small pond ideas and would like to see what everyone else has done. Last year I had a kiddie pool that worked, but cracked from the bending that happens when emptying it nightly due to the filth
smile.png

What has everyone else done? I had though about getting a shallow rubbermaid watering trough from TSC and installing a drain in the bottom for easy of emptying and cleaning....but not sure. I'd like to know what everyone else has done and any pics would be great.
Oh and I don't really want much more than a kiddie pool area...just something for them to swim and splash a little.
Thanks
smile.png

Do another kiddie pool and install a drain.

These are the parts I used for ours (and rubber gaskets/washers).
A goes on the inside of the pool
C goes on A
B attaches to the other end of A once in the hole.
I put the rubber washers on before putting A and B.
D is the plug I use - goes into the outside end of B and I just twist it out to empty.
P1020680.jpg

Cut a hole at the bottom side of the pool to snugly fit the fittings (I used a dremel to cut mine)
P1020682.jpg

Put the pieces together, fill. Drain. Repeat
Most people have a different drain valve. I found them difficult to turn for where the pool would be situated in the yard.

Last edited:
Aewsome idea! Is the pool then elevated at all? and do you have a hose connected to drain the pool? I always figured that the thin kiddie pool plastic wouldn't hold up to cutting a hole in it for a drain i guess.
Thanks

For the Michigan weather, the Rubbermaid stock tank from TSC or Menards will last pretty much for ever. They sell some in 300 gallon size and I have used in my koi ponds (as filters) for over 10 years and they are still not leaking or breaking.

These come with a side drain near the bottom (1-1/4"). If you want a drain on the bottom, then TSC sells a complete kit for about $15.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...tock-tank-parts/stock-tank-drain-plug-2229016

It comes with all the (thick) gaskets and plugs. You can pipe the drain away with standard PVC fittings and pipes.

Last edited:
cool...thats kind of what I was thinking. For Michigan weatehr the stock tank would hold up better. Do your ducks have any trouble getting in or out of the tank? I thought about building a little multi-tiered area so they could get in and out easier........they are not exactly graceful
smile.png

For the stock tank in the pen, I piled sand around it so it is kind of a slope for them to get in and out.

Outside the pen, we have two more ponds (with fish). The ducks go into these most of the time (without hurting any fish).

I bought my pond at Menards. Put a tub drain in the bottom... slightly tilted it toward the drain. I have a water hydrant on the opposite end. Pull the drain. rinse with hose, refill. The pond has ledges which I can throw treats on and as u see in the last pic I have a rock so they can jump on it to get out... I have been putting a towel over that side down over the rock to so they can get a better grip , othewise they were slipping . I think I may put a ramp in tho just in case one gets hurt or sick they have easier acess to get out. I put a tank heater in it all winter and did not have any ice at all. We get -20 degress , I had the pen wrapped in plastic.

43749_1_1_3_6a.png

43749_hpim1057.jpg

43749_hpim1056.jpg

43749_im001846.jpg

43749_im001845.jpg

43749_im001847.jpg

I followed an idea here on the forum. Picked up a masonry tub from home depot and installed a drain. All for under $20.
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

Since the worst part of winter is over, I have the drain rigged up to drain to the garden.

Im also building a duck pond this spring, I like all the ideas. But im wondering do you put a pump and filter in your pond to keep it clean?
Im thinking the stock tank would work good. Right now my ducks free range during the day and always take off to the stream way down away from my house. Id like to keep them closer to home to keep them safe..

Back
Top Bottom