Homemade Duck Ponds? Pics?

dnowa1975

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Kent City, Michigan
Hello All

I'm pretty new here but have been reading for a while...
I have 4 ducks that are about 1 1/2 years old now and am trying to come up with small pond ideas and would like to see what everyone else has done. Last year I had a kiddie pool that worked, but cracked from the bending that happens when emptying it nightly due to the filth
smile.png

What has everyone else done? I had though about getting a shallow rubbermaid watering trough from TSC and installing a drain in the bottom for easy of emptying and cleaning....but not sure. I'd like to know what everyone else has done and any pics would be great.
Oh and I don't really want much more than a kiddie pool area...just something for them to swim and splash a little.
Thanks
smile.png

I bought my pond at Menards. Put a tub drain in the bottom... slightly tilted it toward the drain. I have a water hydrant on the opposite end. Pull the drain. rinse with hose, refill. The pond has ledges which I can throw treats on and as u see in the last pic I have a rock so they can jump on it to get out... I have been putting a towel over that side down over the rock to so they can get a better grip , othewise they were slipping . I think I may put a ramp in tho just in case one gets hurt or sick they have easier acess to get out. I put a tank heater in it all winter and did not have any ice at all. We get -20 degress , I had the pen wrapped in plastic.

43749_1_1_3_6a.png

43749_hpim1057.jpg

43749_hpim1056.jpg

43749_im001846.jpg

43749_im001845.jpg

43749_im001847.jpg

Do another kiddie pool and install a drain.

These are the parts I used for ours (and rubber gaskets/washers).
A goes on the inside of the pool
C goes on A
B attaches to the other end of A once in the hole.
I put the rubber washers on before putting A and B.
D is the plug I use - goes into the outside end of B and I just twist it out to empty.
P1020680.jpg

Cut a hole at the bottom side of the pool to snugly fit the fittings (I used a dremel to cut mine)
P1020682.jpg

Put the pieces together, fill. Drain. Repeat
Most people have a different drain valve. I found them difficult to turn for where the pool would be situated in the yard.

Last edited:
Quote:
How did you do that and what plastic (how thick) did you use? Did you use wood strips to attach the plastic to the frame?

Thank you in advance.

I would have to look , I just bought a big roll at Menards (fairly heavy) and used Lathe strips and nailed it up.. I do have corregated heavy plastic sheets as roofing over 3/4 of it... part is white for shade, part is clear (over pond for sun) and then the last 1/4 is ply wood that I remove in the summer (harware cloth also covers the whole roof). I did get 6 pieces of plexiglass for 6 of the front sections so I would be able to see out all winter. It gets really cold here in the winter and when the sun comes out it is very comfortable in there... heres a couple pics with some of the plastic up. Now thats its getting nice , I just take a section off at a time so its not too hot in there.

43749_im002182.jpg

43749_2010-09-29_19-13-24_665.jpg

43749_2010-09-29_19-13-01_696.jpg

I would have to look , I just bought a big roll at Menards (fairly heavy) and used Lathe strips and nailed it up.. I do have corregated heavy plastic sheets as roofing over 3/4 of it... part is white for shade, part is clear (over pond for sun) and then the last 1/4 is ply wood that I remove in the summer (harware cloth also covers the whole roof). I did get 6 pieces of plexiglass for 6 of the front sections so I would be able to see out all winter. It gets really cold here in the winter and when the sun comes out it is very comfortable in there... heres a couple pics with some of the plastic up. Now thats its getting nice , I just take a section off at a time so its not too hot in there.

43749_im002182.jpg

43749_2010-09-29_19-13-24_665.jpg

43749_2010-09-29_19-13-01_696.jpg

I wanna be one of your ducks......

I followed an idea here on the forum. Picked up a masonry tub from home depot and installed a drain. All for under $20.
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

Since the worst part of winter is over, I have the drain rigged up to drain to the garden.

loubapache-- dug the waterline in so it doesnt freeze. Ended up alittle more stout than original plans but i guess for all the nasty weather we get here I dont have to worry .... one end has a couple inches of sand and pea gravel and then grass on the other side of the pond. They free range outside alot but mostly poooh in the pond which i refill every other day.... I only have 4 calls but I really dont have alot of mess. I can hose down the whole inside.

Back
Top Bottom