Homemade flock block recipes

Pics
Okay, I'm not sure if I should kiss you guys, or kill you...
smile.png
smile.png

I have about a hundred rabbits sitting here that need to be supplemented fairly regularly, and I tried to make blocks a few years back with mixed success.

Now, thanks to you, I think I can do this--but do you REALIZE how much space this is gonna take to do 1-5 HUNDRED muffins at a time????? Once a week?!?

AAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!!
barnie.gif

It's not that it isn't worth doing, it's that I'm plotting to rent a local bakery for a day....LOL....Yeep. The planning and organization required is truly daunting, and the costs...well.

Gonna have to research it more, but think I can come up with a feed block that they can't 'sort through' and will be minimal-waste.

Sure hope so, anyway....

By the way...if you're doing the gelatin thing, packing them in the mini-loaf pans and setting them out in the hottest sun of summer (on the dash or rear ledge of your car is good too) saves a lot of energy in baking and gets them lovely and hard!
smile.png

I would be interested to hear what you come up with for the rabbits. I only have 8, so the task would not be so daunting for me...I might be able to do it.
lol.png

hi..here is the recipe..

Ingredients:..Bread slices, wild bird seed,Black sun flower seeds, (you can also use scratch, oatmeal, wheat germ, grits, whatever you want to use!..)

In a large mixing bowl..wet the bread slices..add the seed and scratch..(whatever you choose to add)...mix all the ingredients together(with your hands)..the wet bread is the binder..it makes a kind of dough....grease a microwave safe baking pan...add the bread/seed mixture to the pan...press down tightly with a spatula...put in microwave oven for 5 minutes..keep testing hardness with finger(it will take about 20 minutes total...)...when you feel it is hard enough..take out and let cool...it will harden even more...if you greased the pan enough..it will pop right out of the pan in one solid block..they love it!
i tried this, and in 3 min it started burning! mabey i will try again....

I just read a lot of this, and I think I'm going to make a flock block! hahahah my husband is going to kill me! He already thinks I'm nuts for making bunny cookies for the rabbit. Well, he didn't know what they were until he asked what smelled so good, and I said bunny cookies. He was like "oh, I bet those will be good!" Because he thought it was some new cookie recipe I created, he was a little disappointed when I told him they were actually FOR the bunny. lmao.

Oh, for the ones who wanted to know about bunny treats (it was a while ago) the recipe is as follows:
1 carrot, pureed
1/2 banana, mashed
1/4 cup ground rabbit pellet or powder from bottom of food bag
1/4 cup ground oats
(I used baby food carrots and bananas and applesauce for this. It was a lot easier.)
I also added raisins to this and my bunny loves them!

You mix everything together and roll it out between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Then cut it into whatever shape you like, or use cookie cutters.
Bake it at 325 for 30 mins, then turn off oven and let them sit in the oven while it cools down.

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I am SO glad to have found it!!! Reading through it...
I was at TSC looking at the flock blocks they have for sale. I was NOT happy with the blocks having some of the preservatives and soy stuff in it!!! That is when I decided to come home and look up on BYC to see about homemade flock blocks!!! So, BUYER BEWARE what you are getting when you buy the commercial blocks!!!

Y'all ROCK on info provided!!!
clap.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif

bow.gif

Just made 4 Herb Cakes ('flock blocks') for my babies. They are cooling off right now. They smell very good. Yum yum! Took pictures..will post them, along with a recipe once I see how everyone likes them. : ) Thank you all for this WONDERFUL thread!!!!

~ Aspen

Found MrsVolfie on youtube a year or so ago - she's wonderful! She goes through the trouble of making videos for us while she...does everything on their Half Acre Homestead in Eastern Canada from making soap to curing bacon to goats, chickens, the occasional cow, dehydrating veg, pasta - all with a realistic sense of life in general without chemicals (they really tee her off). Here she is showing us how she makes SUET CAKES for her chickens as winter approaches to give them some beneficial calories against cold winter. I bought ingredients today - using beef suet from the butcher at supermarket along with some bacon drippings...add dried cranberries, raisins, shelled sunflower seeds, shredded carrots..I love to cook for my chickens too. They love cornbread with dried cranberries, bananas, peas, carrots, apples. I double the recipe and cut it in 1/4's so they get a treat through the week. Thanks for all the ideas here. Its an older thread its that time of year again.

Back
Top Bottom