Homemade incubator experiment

image.jpg

I've never incubated eggs before but plan on incubating some later this year.I have to make an incubator first. I bought a small one but its got bad reviews and will only use it if a broody hen goes off the nest(emergency situation) Please keep us updated on how the eggs are developing!I'm hoping you have great success using this method.I did read duck eggs require a cooling off period every day and was wondering if you're cooling these off daily?

I've never incubated eggs before but plan on incubating some later this year.I have to make an incubator first. I bought a small one but its got bad reviews and will only use it if a broody hen goes off the nest(emergency situation) Please keep us updated on how the eggs are developing!I'm hoping you have great success using this method.I did read duck eggs require a cooling off period every day and was wondering if you're cooling these off daily?
I know you aren't asking me but- I've heard that as well, but I've heard mixed opinions with it... I never bothered personally, but I did candle my eggs often which gave them a short opportunity to cool slightly-- my hatch was fine! I don't think they "require" it anymore than other kinds of eggs

see, really the only hard thing with this is controlling the heat since I'm using an open container for the eggs but other than that it works just fine. well, and the fact you can't trap the humidity but you can make up for that

There was someone in a Facebook group that's always used 5gal buckets as incubators. I'm going to try it later on. It's just a lamp kit in the bucket lid, drill a few holes, fill 5 inch of the bottom with leaves/shavings/soil and dampen it. Supplies humidity all the way through.

Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom