Homemade incubator results

yeshuaisiam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know whether to be pleased or displeased with the results.

It's basically a large incubator (for me), about 3ft wide by 2.5 ft long built out of wood and insulated. I have the entire thing insulated and being heated by 3 old fashioned light bulbs (total of 220 watt). I have a fan from an old computer case that runs constantly, and circulates the air well without really being breezy. The viewing window is tempered glass. The thermostat is a water heater thermostat.

So I started some testing for several days now, and tried to get the temps to stick near 100F without going too high over or under.
The way it is right now is it goes up to about 101F to 102F (never 103F), and the lights cut off. After about 25 minutes, the incubator goes down to about 96F and the lights cut back on and heat it within 15 minutes back up to 101 to 102F.

The humidity increases depending on the area of water I put in. If its from a cup of water, it will sit at 65% on the hygrometer. A pie pan will go to 85% humidity.

The temperature is the area I am most concerned with. I don't know if its an "exact science" or getting "pretty close" is good enough. I know I'd be teetering on the low side, but I figure that may be better than the high side. The numbers I gave are on the extreme side 102F MAX HIGH, 96F MAX LOW. Most of the time it sits in the average of 99 to 100F.

We've never hatched eggs before, so I thought I'd come here to ask if the number seem okay.

its possible sensor in wrong place

it needs to be about 2 inch from light as its a radient sensor

personally using 3 bulbs i would use a waffer sensor as it reads ambiant temo from around the bator

also humidity is set by surfade area not depth so yes your right

1/4 area is about 40-50 and half area is about 70-80

Last edited:
personally using 3 bulbs i would use a waffer sensor as it reads ambiant temo from around the bator
+1... I think you are pushing the puter fan to the max with that much area. A cheap 4" desk fan from dollar gen. well likely even out cool and warm spots for ya... I use'em, they run around 8 bucks and are quiet as a mouse.... Hope it works out for ya!!

Last edited:
personally . . . . . . i would use a waffer sensor as it reads ambiant temo from around the bator
The wafer is a very reliable thermostat. Why do you have so much power (total of 220 watt -- this is enough to cook the eggs, literally)? I have an incubator made from a 72qt ice chest and have 2 X 25 watt light bulbs. This avoids the "pulse" of heat generated from high output. I have a 4" 12v fan running on 9.5v and the air circulation is adequate. It's not about power; it's control that matters. You mention 25 minute cycle times. With the wafer I barely have 1 degree temp shifts and the cycle times are about 5 min off and 2 minutes on. I just hatched 9 out of 10 barnyard mix eggs with this arrangement. Stay with it and you'll get it worked out. Best of luck

Yes, I have tried using a water heater thermostat in a large, incubator like yours (Fridge incubator) All I got were bad results. I switched to a wafer thermostat, and have no longer had any problems. I would much like to help you, I have pictures of my new Homemade cabinet incubator, Just Ask.

Back
Top Bottom