Homemade Incubators

What is the ideal temperature range for incubating and hatching? I'm firing this puppy up now! lol What humidity is too high during incubation?

Thank you for all your input!

CK

What kind of "Puppy" you got. Still air around 101 reading at the top of the eggs----forced air around 99.5 is good.
I do not want my humidity to be over 40% during the incubation---until lock down then I like it above 70%.

I don't know what I did Wrong, I Made a new Incubator, Same Way as my Other, But Bigger. Over 30 Eggs and Only 2 developing, and not because theyre not being bred, I watch it happen alot. The Temp either keeps Soaring or Dropping. How Do I Fix It?

I don't know what I did Wrong, I Made a new Incubator, Same Way as my Other, But Bigger. Over 30 Eggs and Only 2 developing, and not because theyre not being bred, I watch it happen alot. The Temp either keeps Soaring or Dropping. How Do I Fix It?

I do not know what or how your incubator is built but If you will post more info and some pics----I will be glad to try and help.

I do not know what or how your incubator is built but If you will post more info and some pics----I will be glad to try and help.

I followed the Wikipedia Instructions on how to make an Incubator. My last made incubator was small, barely fit a dozen eggs. This one is about 2-3 times the size of my first. I also use a nightlight as the heating implement, instead of a normal light. Last time i used a normal light bulb, was when i was first used my first incubator, i cooked the eggs. But this one is hard to get correct, I put a huge whole in each side, i even leave the lid open. But the two eggs are doing great, developing slowly, but doing great. I really hope they survive, theyre the only things i have left of my Silkie Rooster(was my only rooster, but my Favorite Rooster) and my Pullet(id had her since she was a chick, she'd just started laying too), but they were eaten by a Raccoon.
[/IMG]

I followed the Wikipedia Instructions on how to make an Incubator. My last made incubator was small, barely fit a dozen eggs. This one is about 2-3 times the size of my first. I also use a nightlight as the heating implement, instead of a normal light. Last time i used a normal light bulb, was when i was first used my first incubator, i cooked the eggs. But this one is hard to get correct, I put a huge whole in each side, i even leave the lid open. But the two eggs are doing great, developing slowly, but doing great. I really hope they survive, theyre the only things i have left of my Silkie Rooster(was my only rooster, but my Favorite Rooster) and my Pullet(id had her since she was a chick, she'd just started laying too), but they were eaten by a Raccoon.

[/QUOTE]
Did or are you using a thermostat----what kind----I see the thermometer? I think you did good by getting 2 to hatch---there is no way to control the humidity with the lid partly open or the glass slid open etc. The fan is huge. You have your thermometer on the far side----I feel it would be best to check the temp in this about middle of the eggs being your heat is on the side---the eggs closest to the heat/light is probably a lot hotter.

Quote: The Thermometer is a Thermometer and Hygrometer in One. The Humidity does well actually, its the temp itself. Should I put more Vents in It Then? This Is How I made my Last Incubator, and I Hatched at Least a Dozen Or More Chicks With It(lost those to a Coon when they were 2-3 months old).

Its been over a week since I posted to your post----where you been? I do not understand your post. Are you having trouble keeping the temp correct?? But the humidity is good?? If you are having trouble with the temp---is it to low or to high? I asked you if you were using a thermostat---to control the temp-----I guess you are not-------seems you want to crack open the lid or drill holes to try and control the temp---which is not good. If you get it right and the room temp changes a couple degree's----then its wrong again???

So my incubator has been an ongoing project for the last few years. i have tried it out only once and got 6 to hatch out of 24 eggs. ive decided to add more fans (is it possible to have too many fans? lol) and im adding another bulb to the top to stablize the temp on the 2 trays. is there something i could put around the bulbs to prevent the eggs closest to them from frying?

So my incubator has been an ongoing project for the last few years. i have tried it out only once and got 6 to hatch out of 24 eggs. ive decided to add more fans (is it possible to have too many fans? lol) and im adding another bulb to the top to stablize the temp on the 2 trays. is there something i could put around the bulbs to prevent the eggs closest to them from frying?

Got any pics? Do you have a thermostat in it?

Back
Top Bottom