Homemade Incubators

thanks for the info I have eggs in it right now due to hatch on the 8th will try to set in when there hatched. just don't want to take chances with my hatch
jumpy.gif

I understand that! I had just put my eggs in when we fixed it. It only took one or two cycles to get it right. It has been perfect every since. Good Luck on your hatch! I just got 8 new babies today and put 17 more in lockdown too.
fl.gif
Got to convert that hatcher over to flexwatt and the digital thermostat. I still worry about the WHT.

I have finished my incubator too. It is made out of an insulated shipping crate. It was pretty well made, and it was even insulated with 1 1/2 inch styro foam. I got the box for free. I then added a layer of wafer board over the styro foam to protect it from being torn up.
After that I painted the inside once, and put four layers of sealer over that.
It can hold 2 automated egg turners, and it can hold 2 large hatching trays.
My favorite part of it, is that I was able to put an extra large viewing window on the door

Very awesome my wife would have my head on a platter if I made something that big and hatched out as many eggs as that will hold. Great job!

Thanks... my hubby MADE me build it that big.... he actually wanted bigger... so GLAD I stopped that idea...

it is really cool that he back you up like that. My wife backs my hobby i'm not saying she doesn't she just keeps me in check otherwise I would have a hundred chickens running around::thumbsup

it is really cool that he back you up like that. My wife backs my hobby i'm not saying she doesn't she just keeps me in check otherwise I would have a hundred chickens running around:
thumbsup.gif

When I got my first 5 hens, he told me I need 100 layers... I thought he was crazy! I am pushing 200 chickens now and I am still only getting 30 eggs a day. But with the eggs in the bator that will all change. I candled today and tossed 17 eggs and could have tossed more but they were Marans and I just could not tell if they were growing or not. Better safe than sorry.... That batch was 115 so I may get 50 to lockdown the way it looks. I have another tray with 180 and I will candle them Thursday. Hope that load has a better grow rate since most of the egg I bought
hide.gif

When I got my first 5 hens, he told me I need 100 layers... I thought he was crazy! I am pushing 200 chickens now and I am still only getting 30 eggs a day. But with the eggs in the bator that will all change. I candled today and tossed 17 eggs and could have tossed more but they were Marans and I just could not tell if they were growing or not. Better safe than sorry.... That batch was 115 so I may get 50 to lockdown the way it looks. I have another tray with 180 and I will candle them Thursday. Hope that load has a better grow rate since most of the egg I bought
hide.gif

it seems to me that you should be getting allot more than that. I know it is a bit early in the season though. I bought some Diatomaceous Earth that is a natural wormer for parasites for my chickens as they are not laying as much as I think they should be. It's more of a preventative measure for me. The best thing is it has no ill effects on the birds and I can continue to eat the eggs or hatch them. we shall see if it helps pick up production for me.

it seems to me that you should be getting allot more than that. I know it is a bit early in the season though. I bought some Diatomaceous Earth that is a natural wormer for parasites for my chickens as they are not laying as much as I think they should be. It's more of a preventative measure for me. The best thing is it has no ill effects on the birds and I can continue to eat the eggs or hatch them. we shall see if it helps pick up production for me.

I only have last springs pullets laying, but soon fall hatch is going to kick in. I have a ton of chicks and still young ones in the shop. I use DE in my feed just in case too.

Back
Top Bottom