Homemade killing cone!

Quote:
Well, I don't think anyone described it as "peaceful"!
lol.png
You are right, it isn't peaceful at all, killing another creature. I said it was calm~in this sense, the word calm is defined as "without rough motion".

This means that one doesn't have to use a violent chopping or stabbing with this method. The bird is cupped in a cone, she is not struggling wildly, her head is gently tilted and extended, and a swift sure cut is delivered to her neck. I much prefer it to another method I tried awhile back where you stab into the palate and twist into the brain of the bird. That was a horrifying and decidedly "unpeaceful" episode that I will never repeat!
sickbyc.gif

Peaceful? Not really. Calm and quiet? Yes! In my book, it makes it less stressful when releasing a bird from "this mortal coil".
wink.png

I don't see why not - I mean, you "process" just the same as you would in any other season, and should be refrigerated in the same amount of time.

I do the jugular/carotid method, sparing the trachea. Hemorrhagic shock isn't really a bad way to go, considering. And compared to other methods, relatively calm and quiet. I have just been hanging mine by their feet, but like the bleach bottle idea - although I only have 1 gallon bottles, and I don't know that those would be big enough.

I converted a 2 gal. bleach jug into a killing cone this weekend and it worked wonderfully! It also presented the chicken's neck at just the right juncture for a clean slice to remove the entire head.

I'll never go back to the axe again, that's for sure.

Found some very odd things in these chickens this time and I should have taken some pics....one was a huge and very gross egg impaction. The other was the biggest set of roo cojones I've ever witnessed!
ep.gif
lau.gif
They were as big as golf balls!
th.gif
I know this is an old thread. But you are one of the experienced people who I respect and look forward to reading your answers.

Can you tell me if you are still using a bleach bottle? For me, it's not just about saving $, but also how well it works. Our first chicken will be processed as soon as get the cone and the courage! Hubby says he will process the rest of the bird but I have to make the first cut that bleeds them out.

As I strongly believe my birds are being raised well and eating is part of the circle of life, I know I am doing the right thing... morally. So my mind is made up and my heart is set on it. We have been openly talking about it in preparation for the day.

Also we are considering just skinning the whole thing instead of plucking when we first start out. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
~Alyssa

I know this is an old thread. But you are one of the experienced people who I respect and look forward to reading your answers.

Can you tell me if you are still using a bleach bottle? For me, it's not just about saving $, but also how well it works. Our first chicken will be processed as soon as get the cone and  the courage! Hubby says he will process the rest of the bird but I have to make the first cut that bleeds them out.

As I strongly believe my birds are being raised well and eating is part of the circle of life, I know I am doing the right thing... morally. So my mind is made up and my heart is set on it. We have been openly talking about it in preparation for the day.

Also we are considering just skinning the whole thing instead of plucking when we first start out. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks.
~Alyssa

I know this is directed to Bee, but I just want to say Good for You!

Last edited:

Can you tell me if you are still using a bleach bottle? For me, it's not just about saving $, but also how well it works. Our first chicken will be processed as soon as get the cone and the courage! Hubby says he will process the rest of the bird but I have to make the first cut that bleeds them out.

Thanks.
~Alyssa

Sure am! Used the same one for years now, that's how sturdy they are...it's left up on the tree in all weathers and never deteriorates.

As for the skinning, I can show you a little vid I did....not very good video as I'm no public speaker and just have a little photo camera for taking video, but it may give you an idea at how easy it is.

0.jpg

My WRs have very thick feathering, especially as they move into winter, so you may not have to fight with all the little feathers everywhere like I do in this vid. Sorry for the poor quality.

Here's a fella skinning down a CX...keep in mind that the CX is a baby bird, so very easy to skin and especially while the carcass is still hot. You won't be able to skin a regular DP bird in this manner, though it's still easier when the carcass is freshly killed. His method is slower but he's not getting feathers all over his meat like I did/do. If he removed the wing ends and feet first, it would go even more smoothly for him and I wouldn't attempt to gut while it's still hanging up...but all in all, it's better than most vids out there on it.

0.jpg

I know this is directed to Bee, but I just want to say Good for You!
Thank you for the encouragement!
highfive.gif

@Beekissed I watched that video, squinting the whole time (and eating chips).
sickbyc.gif

It was very good and informative. I have not handled whole chickens in the past due to their resemblance if a human infant and it was just disgusting.... Plus having chicken that was over cooked or bloody as a child left a bad taste in my mouth.
hmm.png
Since I became an adult I have only done boneless/skinless chicken. Never ate any meat off the bone, it seemed so savage! Of course that was before I understood where my food came from. And that just because MY mom couldn't cook a pot boiled water doesn't mean that chicken has to somehow taste the same as eggs or be under cooked.
idunno.gif
So seeing the process take place in an organized fashion by someone who cares what they are eating and not just trying to cause shock value.... I think it helps.

Would you mind posting a pic of your bottle so I can see about how it's cut and mounted please? I guess if it has to stand up to bleach the weather ain't too bad. How many cones do you think I actually need? I have 2 that I wish to process soon. But there after maybe a couple here and there. Right now, just hatchery gender mix ups. Later on we intend to eat any hatched by broodies or if I hatch extras. But as an individual, how many do you think would be realistic? And as far as the emotion goes, does it seem better to try and save them all for a same day.... Or does it become easier to have a basic schedule? I mean, I know I will be OK but also still have the lump in my throat with possible tears once it's all said and done. Not of regret, but just as a natural part of the acceptance process of what we went through that day.
barnie.gif
I'm just anxious to get the first time out of the way.

Thanks again!
smile.png

Quote:

Sure can, though it doesn't really show how they are attached. When you cut the bottom out of the jug, it helps to leave a broad "tab" extending over the edge of the cone so you can have an easier time nailing the jug into the tree. I use roofing nails because the heads are large and flatter, so they don't pull through plastic very easily, but a person could use a regular nail and a washer to get the same effect.

You'll have better success if that cone is very secure to the tree...no mishaps that way. The chickens are heavier than they seem, especially when they are moving about during the dying.

In these pics you can just see the tab left over the rim of the cone. You can mount these with the handle towards the tree or towards you...it doesn't matter at all to how the bird fits into the jug, either way is fine.

I kill many birds per group but it's usually just me doing the killing, so I just use the one jug~kill one, put it on my table and come back to kill another...lets it bleed out while I'm working on the first one. If you have people helping you, you might want to mount a couple up so you can keep a smooth flow of work.

As for killing a few here and there or killing a group, I always opt for the group if you have the time to work on them. My best advice is to set up your whole work station, sharpen your knives, catch the birds up the night before and confine them to a small space(cage or some such) or truss their legs...and do all of that the night previous to the actual day you will be killing the birds. Get up early that next morning and just go to work.

That's what it is, really...just a job. If you can approach it in that manner it all gets to be a lot easier...like cleaning up a messy diaper, dog puke or any number of things that have the potential for grossing you out or distressing you mentally. Approaching such things like a job that has to be done helps you separate your emotions and distaste for the job at hand and helps you remain calm and sure about how to proceed.

For newbies I suggest making the cut on the neck, make sure it went deeply enough for a good bleed out...then walk away. Tend to other things until you hear no more movement behind you, then go back to the bird and remove the head the rest of the way, then move it along to gutting. If it helps you to play music, play music. Some of the people even take a swig of alcohol to get through it.

I love the peace and calm of the early morning, the cool air, and quiet time with the Lord. I concentrate on doing each step well, not rushing through it...rushing can get you cut, and making sure it all goes calmly for the chicken too.

Just as with all "first times" you'll get done and look back on it, wondering "Why in the world was I so anxious about that?"
wink.png
Most folks are scared about messing up, doing it wrong, etc., but I'm here to tell you that no matter how many hundreds of birds one kills, they still mess up sometimes and that never changes. It all gets easier the more you do, but messing up is just a part of this imperfect life and world, so no worries on that score.

The first time I had to kill rabbits I was up at 1am at night killing these soft, white animals with tears running down my face, sobbing quietly so the kids couldn't hear me....it was very cold out so I did the deed in my laundry room. I swore I'd never do another, I had botched it so badly. Flash forward 15 yrs of no bunny killing and there I was last fall with a bunny, feet tied to my killing tree, slitting its throat with all confidence that I could do it right...and I did. No tears, no sobs and with my little granddaughter watching on. It was not a sad event and she even cheered and clapped when it stopped moving.

You'll get past this and through it and you'll do fine, I'm sure of it! I'm so very proud that you have moved from one mindset to another...most folks never do it because of all the peer pressure to conform to that particular mindset.

Food is a fact and eating meat is a fact for most people...it should also be fact that the meat has to die before it can be consumed. I wish more folks could get their mind around the fact that if someone has to do it, it might as well be me.

The pictures help. But your kind and encouraging words bring an even greater sense of peace.

I love the calm of morning as well! Quiet time with God is important to my well being and I love just watching the sun dawn on creation. It's a great way to start the day. It just puzzles me to no end what kind of imagination One would have to have to come up with all the beauty and intricacies and how they all work together.... Wow..... Bodies that heal themselves are science reality! Not fiction.

Yes, I have have cried while cleaning puke off my head when raising kids.... just part of the job
smile.png

Thank you very much! It will probably still be a couple days. I will let you know how it went, with good expectations. And I will also be sharing your response with my husband!
highfive.gif

Thanks for your description. I'm about to cull my first birds next week and dreaming about it every night. I want to be pragmatic and when i decided to hatch chicks always intended to eat any surplus but it's still hard to actually go through with it.

Back
Top Bottom