Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

I'm thinking about trying this, only I really don't like eating plain yogurt! But it sure makes good blueberry muffins! Do ya think when I go to eat it I could mix something tasty in, like some peach preserves or something? I hope it wouldn't mess it up.

We eat our yogurt every morning for breakfast. I serve my children about 3/4 cup of yogurt and they top it with fresh fruits we have put in the freezer this season. Last week we took out a quart of strawberries. All week long we enjoyed the yogurt topped with strawberries and organic granola. Yummy!

If you choose a good plain yogurt and a good fresh milk the yogurt will not have that bitter after taste and strong sourness that the plain store bought yogurt has.

I make a 2 quart container about every other day. My kids love it. Our chicks love it. I even mix it with the baby ducks feed - they love it.

You can buy powdered starter cultures that are more sweet from cheesemaking suppliers. We prefer to use the Stoneyfield Farms brand because of the 6 different cultures in it.

I promise you that the yogurt you make at home will taste better than any of the plain organics you can buy.

OMG........quite the ambitious bunch you are. Whaddya think this is, mayberry?
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif

Whats wrong with foodmart's yogurt?
idunno.gif

Fresh yoghurt is delicious! I've never made in myself, though, but I think I shall! Nothing better than a healthy dollop of quality yoghurt topped with granola and fresh fruit!

Cookinmom a nice idea would be to make a fresh fruit puree and mix it in if you weren't looking for fruit chunks but a flavoured yoghurt. I have a Magic Bullet my mom bought me and love to make fresh fruit puree just to eat on it's own. It's especially yummy if you use frozen fresh fruits so you get an icy treat. Actually, it sounds like it would taste quite good mixed in with homemade yoghurt! I know what I'm making tomorrow after I finish the chicken run
woot.gif

hu.gif
......i said what i said because i work 6 days a week and i just think of time more than anything else. Between prep time and clean up time
idunno.gif
I envy you all for finding ways to fit it in really. I might have to give up my BYC time to make yogurt........
barnie.gif
Maybe in the winter, i tend to get bored being stuck inside and start playing in the kitchen then.

ep.gif
WOW......i looked at the posts and it just looked like too much.....heh....... hmmmm might talk me into this susie homemaker stuff yet
wink.png

Trust me Lurky, if I can make it you can make it. LOL I was amazed and quite proud of myself!
yippiechickie.gif
It is so cool to be able to do stuff like this. I don't know that I would have had time when I was working as I was gone thirteen hours a day but I have the time now. I am playing with it now to make it sweet enough without it being too sweet.
Making homemade yogurt is like having our own eggs instead of the store bought...think of it that way.
big_smile.png

Thanks so much, Miss Priss for the recipe!!!
This was awesome!!

Last edited:
Ok Miss Ozark...you have convinced me!!! I will be home tomorrow most all day.......i will read the post again and see if i can get to the store today and buy up some stuff. I just re-read the post and it sound odd. Like why a cooler heated and why a jar of water? What is all that about?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom