Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Homemade yogurt is not going to be as thick as store yogurt. Store bought yogurts use fillers and thickeners like powdered milk, corn starch, etc. DO NOT add powdered milk. It isn't real food!* Pectin is a thickener added to one of my favorite yogurts (Greek Gods Plain Greek Yogurt), but the BEST way to thicken your yogurt is just to drain it in some cheese cloth. The longer you leave it drain, the thicker it gets.

To make your own greek yogurt, use cream instead of milk. You can use all cream or replace half the whole milk with cream.

*"oxidized cholesterol, found in most powdered milk and powdered eggs, contributes to heart disease. Powdered milk is added to 1% and 2% milk."
http://www.westonaprice.org/brochures/wapfbrochure.html

Quote:
Thanks for the Pectin tip. How much do you use per quart? Do you just add to milk when heating? or dissolve and heat then add to milk? We were aware of the powdered milk and heart disease factor, but didn't know about the Pectin. We had discussed using the cheese cloth to thicken, but haven't done it yet.

Thanks.

I don't add pectin, I only strain. I like my yogurt REALLY thick. Mine is almost like cream cheese by the time I get done with it
big_smile.png

I would search on some recipe sites and see if you can find someone who has made yogurt with pectin. Try recipezaar.com or cooks.com

hey wifezilla!

GREAT tip - i've been using the powdered milk thing and have always been stumped why i'm adding non-food to my raw goats milk! plus i nearly fell over when i saw that a box of powdered milk is $9 in my local store!!! wow!

next time i'll give your straining method a try..and yes i love the fage stuff too

:)

i've been using my crock pot on 'keep warm' - filled with water and my two quart jars to make my yogurt. just need to keep an eye on the temp.

WOW!

hey wifezilla! i strained my yogurt and its.. its... its.. SPECTACULAR!! i forgot about one of the batches so it really did turn out like cream cheese and i've been using it as such. and on toast/english muffin drizzled with a little honey.. wow!

thanks so much for the tip and yep i've thrown out that expensive box of milk forever! (actually i'm too cheap to throw it away so i'll use it up for non-yogurt uses!)

Quote:
I have only made soft cheese. I don't have access to fresh milk and have to buy a hormone antibiotic free goat milk from Trader Joe's. I want to expand to an aged/harder cheese. I get all my supplies from the New England Cheese company. Any advice or recipes would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom