Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Welcome!! I also make butter and my own mayonnaise, thanks to Miss Prissy, I have quit buying mayo now as this tastes so much better. I can't get enough cream off a gal of fresh milk to stop buying butter yet. ha ha
I will be looking for a pressure cookers this spring for sure. I have never canned before either but this thread has made me realize I can do anything if I set my mind to it. The step-by-step photos have helped so very much.

Wow, I've just read through all 32 pages, and have to say......what a neat thread! I think maybe I have to start making yogurt again. I used to make it regularly, but have been slacking off as DH is not fond of yogurt. He had major health issues for most of last year, so a lot of the things I used to do, if not directly related to his health, got put on the back burner.

A couple of comments which somebody might find helpful:

1) I have used a yogurt maker, and also the "cooler as incubator", and would definitely say don't waste your money on the y. maker. The cooler does a super job, and is cheaper.

2) I haven't always lived in soggy Oregon, and a holdover from periodically drought challenged California is to try to avoid wasting water. You don't have to fill the cooler with hot water, and then strain your back pouring it out. Just fill a jar or two or three with hot water, pop them in the cooler (don't wrap in towels), close the lid, and by the time the milk is ready to go in the cooler will be nice and warm. In fact, I keep a jar in there all the time (except when I need it for a picnic LOL), and just reheat the same water in the microwave.

3) I don't wrap the incubating jars either; I check after 4 hours or so - if the yogurt is done, fine and dandy. If not I re-heat the water in the microwave, and then check it every couple of hours - or, sometimes, leave it overnight. As many of you have found it will probably be more tart, but still good.

4) I use unbleached muslin from the fabric store to drain the yogurt. Really cheap, and can be re-used (after washing of course), which is difficult with cheesecloth. (When the sewing machine is out I'll hem the squares, otherwise not. They last longer hemmed)

5) A good drainer is a clean 1 quart yogurt container (which you got as your starter yogurt) - put a large square of muslin over the top, secure with a rubber band, pour in up to about 2 cups of yogurt, cover with the lid, and place in the 'fridge. By morning you'll have yogurt cheese.

6) The whey can be used in baking, used to water plants (not houseplants, as it seems to attract little flying beasties), or given to the chickens.

7) Sour cream can be made in exactly the same way as yogurt, even using the same culture, by starting with half and half or cream.

Now I have to find a source for good milk, and try my hand at mozzerella. Thanks MissPrissy for starting this discussion.

Quote:
I can't remember if I posted this link or not on this thread, but here it is again...
Farms that sell raw milk (some goat, some cow) just click on your corresponding state and find a farm near you.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you, that is excellent advice! I will check that seed website out, and I was even thinking about posting on freecycle, to see if anyone saved seeds and had extras. I will check out the library for books also.

MissPrissy, I never even thought about sales/auctions! Now that I think about it, I've seen jars before, but never paid attention to pots/pressure canners. Speaking of, I never realized some things needed to be canned that way! My fil has told me stories about his mom using one, and always made the kids leave the kitchen...just in case, yikes! When I heard that, I figured I would just use the "regular way" lol! I do have ALOT to learn, don't I?

Thank you for the welcome Backyard Buddies
smile.png
I love the idea of not throwing away all those little yogurt containers! And the thought of it being homemade. I sat down this afternoon, and read all 31 (at the time) pages, and was just loving the stories.

I will definitely keep you guys updated; this is fun!

Dawn

Thanks for the link. Unfortuantely the nearest source is an hour away. I'll keep the info handy though for when I'm going that way.

BrahmaMama, was just reading your post, and signature line. "Crazy" Hamburgs? Do you mean that in a nice way? My as-yet-unhatched-and-not-yet-even-ordered chicks were supposed to include 2 silver spangled Hamburgs, girl and boy. In your opinion would this be a mistake? I can't resist the pictures of these pretty birds, but don't want to "bite off more than I can chew" - I am brand new at this, and have never had chickens before.

Thank you Ozark hen
smile.png
Wow, you make mayo too! I'm a big mayo person...much to the horror of my diet
lol.png
I agree, the step by step photos are awesome!

Orchick, thank you for the tips...I'm trying to figure out a way to save all this info...maybe copy and paste, and put in my email maybe... otherwise I can always come back to this thread, but there would be alot of searching, lol!

Thank you for posting that link, Angie n Maine..heading over there right now to see if there is anything close
smile.png

Quote:
It is very important that you make sure you know the proper way to can different foods. Some foods will spoil and grow deadly bacteriaif not canned with the correct method. Foods high in sugar (jelly, jam, preserves etc), things packed in hot vinegar (acid) and most tomatoes can be canned by a hot water bath. Things like spaghetti sauce, stocks etc MUST be pressure canned.

You can get alot of FREE information on food preservation from your local extention office. They are your tax dollars at work. Make them work for your benfit in helping you learn what you need to know.

ORChic, excellent advice. I use unbleached muslin alot too.

Quote:
Uh...not in a good way, lol! BUT, I have the Golden Spangled, and I've *heard* that the Silver's are not quite as "flighty." Mine are flighty..very! And when I finally catch one and hold them, they scream-and I mean scream, their heads off! Nothing like my sweet Brahmas, or friendly white Rocks. They are also the only ones that have actually pecked *at* me when I'm holding them :eek: I only ordered them because they looked like your typical "pretty rooster" that you see in pictures, on coffee mugs, etc. Red, with green and black in them....and they don't even look like that. So much for me going by a little picture in Welp's catalog, lol! I was happy with everyone else though; and have now learned to use hatchery pictures, along with researching everything on Feathersite.

Back
Top Bottom