Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Missprissy,

Your yogurt and buttermilk is the exact way I have been making them for years, I started making the buttermilk when I couldn't get it at my store. We do not get it all the time in every store up here. It is so easy it is worth it.
I got tired of going to all the stores looking for it.

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

We have something in common besides chickens, churkenduse! LOL

My family prefers the homemade so much more than commercial made. I am letting my goats dry up and the milk is short. I bought yogurt this week for the first time since last July. MY kids were not too thrilled with it. lol

I haven't made the yogurt recipe...these little grocery stores are out of powdered milk...and haven't re-ordered (I've asked them twice!)
Still have hopes on making it!
fl.gif

I really want to try this. So you say go to health food store and buy cultures right? What kind of thermometer do you use. I may need to buy one.

A candy thermometer works perfectly.

No special cultures needed. Go to the grocery store. Choose the very best organic plain yogurt. Buy it. use that to culture your own.

Or you can order online or buy a powdered culture but the one at the grocery store is equally as good.

I use organic Stoneyfield because it is a combo of 6 different cultures.

Okay, I will look for the thermometer tomorrow and some yogurt. I haven't noticed any organic yogurt but maybe I haven't been looking for it so didn't see it. Will it say live cultues.

Make sure it says live cultures. Not all brands do.

The container I use has it labled

Stoneyfeild Farm
Organic
Plain

on the back

Organic nonfat milk, Vit D3, Contains our exclusive blend of six live active cultures including L.Acidophilus, Bifidul, L.Casei and L.Rhamnosus.

Organic Guarantee:
Made without the use of antibiotics, synthetic growth hormones and toxic pesticides.

I finally made the yogurt on Saturday and it was great! Very smooth and mellow. I couldn't find my candy thermometer, so I used my digital meat thermometer. It worked really well and you can set it to alert when it reaches temperature. The only drawback is there's no way to attach to the pan, so you have to hold it the whole time. And you have to make sure the probe doesn't touch the bottom of the pan as that would affect the temp.

I used Trader Joe's European Style Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt for the culture. I was a little worried at first because it is a lot runnier than what I'm used to, but it worked fine. This yogurt is also a lot less sour than other plain yogurts.

Last edited:
Wow, I just finished reading through this entire thread and I am so impressed with everyone here, especially Miss Prissy. I don't like yogurt most of the time because of the sour taste and now I cannot wait to try this
yippiechickie.gif
Thank you to every who contributed to this thread, I am so tempted to print the whole thing out incase something keeps me from ever finding it again!

It gets bumped to the top alot. LOL You won't loose it. I will be doing a how to web page for the learning center very soon.

Back
Top Bottom