Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Morgaine, I,too, was not a yogurt fan but my dh was so I made this. We can put away a jar in two sittings...now that is being nice.
lol.png
We have been known to wipe out a jar in one sitting. I love this yogurt.
Miss P. Now you have something else for me to look forward to...the web site.

Hey all, here is a little thing we do at our house with the fresh goats milk. I have an old butter churn, hand crank, that my dad gave me. I put a gallon of milk in it (cold works best as it's consumable NOW
big_smile.png
, which is how the kids like it
wink.png
), then i put in a bit of chocolate syrup (for milk/icecream) or strawberry, and churn it for about 5-10 mintues. It is the BEST, the syrup doesn't settle to the bottom like it does in the cup, and you can do mass quantities at once. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
ya.gif

The next time I do a major grocery stop, I am going to stop at a local dairy( well, local by texas standards, 45 mins away,lol) where they sell fresh organic milk. It's raw too I believe. I have one jar of apricot jam and two strawberry left in my pantry from my last batch. Can't wait to try it!

Oh, boy.

I almost never come into the Recipes section of this board because I can't (almost literally:() cook. And I don't really like cooking. But, I just spent HOURS of a "recovering from the flu vacation day" reading this entire thread!

I know I should like yogurt- I just never have. Maybe I will have to try it. On the other hand I have never met a cheese I didn't like:D We are trying hard to clean up our diets away from the corporate processed crap that is so much of what's in food stores now. (it's a good thing my SO likes to cook). Home made is the way to go!

Trouble is, it makes me nervous just to think of taking the plunge into something this foreign to me. Literally. My stomach is in butterflies thinking about going out to the food store and buying a gallon of milk and a cup of yogurt:rolleyes: I'm not entirely sure why. Other than the milk and yogurt I have everything on hand. Oh, except a thermomether. Well, my quart jars are still down in the barn since I never got around to doing anything with them last year. But my jelly jars are up here as I empty them.

It just sounds like such a good idea I should take the plunge and listen to SO's complaints about another time consuming hand made stuff kick.

Do it. if it messes up, which I doubt, you can always feed it to the chickens. They LOVE yogurt.

But, you won't mess up. It is easy. Go get the milk. Go wash your jars. Tonight you can have awesome yogurt!

Tonight? gulp.

Actually, I'm sort of saved because we have freezing rain here and I'm listening to the scanner. I really don't want to drive now.
smile.png
Plus I just put on the wood stove to drive out some of the dampness, and what good is a wood stove if you don't sit in front of it?

(yes, I'm procrastinating. I do it really well, too)

You can do it, Valmom! It really isn't much harder than boiling water (and you do some of that, too!).

The making of the yogurt part is really easy. Pour milk into the pan, stir in the powdered milk, heat, cool, stir in the yogurt, pour into the jars. I can now go from unsterilized jars to closing the cooler (where I make the yogurt) in just over 20 minutes.

We're going to be your cheering section. Let us know when we can start waving the pom-poms like this
V
V
V
V

yippiechickie.gif

My very first peek into the recipes section of this forum, and this is what I find. I've spent the last 3 cups of coffee reading this thread. LOL. The title attracted me because my 2-yr-old Grandson loves yogurt. And now I want to get moved to my new place more than ever, so I can try all these things! Yogurt, cheeses, mayo, butter.

Which reminds me... Miss Prissy, my daughter will be right across the road when I get moved. She has been wanting goats for a while and I think she has settled on Nubians. Is there enough fat in the goats milk to make butter? I hope so.

When my kids were little I borrowed a freshened goat from a local farmer just to teach my kids how to milk, and they loved it. We kept her over the summer. We did drink the milk, but I didn't go any further than that, with working full time, there just weren't enough hours.

Thanks for this great thread. I've written down all the recipes & tips and put them in my file box.

Back
Top Bottom