Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
I hate to argue with a fellow mod but we do yogurt here all the time with fresh raw milk and it will set firm and thick without powdered milk.

I never used fresh raw cow milk, Kurtis. Where I am it is not legal to sell it and no one with a milking cow will share. I only know of one person with a family cow and they use every drop of milk for themselves and feeding out their hogs. Until I get a cow I won't know but with grocery store milk it is slimey and not like custard which i think is due to the cream and fat being removed from it. I did fine one place for fresh cow milk but I am not interested in $750 share cow and only getting 1 gallon of milk from them per week. That is like $14 a gallon. Why buy that milk when I have goats? lol

Well, I will have to try it both ways then!
smile.png

Maybe I mentioned this before, but I just started making my own yogurt last month with my sister's starter. (don't know where she got it). I get fresh raw milk where I work for $4/gallon and make the yogurt the same day the cow was milked. It is so delicious!! like nothing I've ever had before and since i make it fresh it lasts for a long long time. It gets an inch of cream at the top too. I'm going to make more and start offering it to my egg customers for $3.50 a quart. (My egg customers are family and friends only).

Oh, and my sister taught me to fill an ice cube tray with yogurt dollops and keep it in the freezer. Then, I just take out one dollop, let it thaw, and use it as the starter again. (1 ice cube per quart). Works great and no messing with buying starter.

Last edited:
The only think I have left to get is the thermometer. I've looked everywhere close to me for one, so I think I am going to have to buy one on line. Even my dh is looking forward to the first try.
Rachel

Check your state laws concerning the sale of yogurt and other dairy products.

The dairy industry has huge regulations. In most places it is illegal to produce cheese, yogurt, butter, sour cream etc for public sale and consumption if you are not a licensed dairy.

With your product being made from fresh raw milk if you got caught without a dairy license and proper inspections and permits the fines are out of this world. The production of those products are so stiffly regulated it is risky to even think about producing yogurt and selling it to other people.

That is one reason the family dairy farm is becoming a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom