Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

cool.png
wee.gif
I did it! I did it! I went and bought my candy thermometer, my ice chest, my jars, my Stoneyfield Yogurt, my organic milk, and my double boiling pot combo... and new dish towels!
wink.png
One must have new dish towels to insulate MissPrissy's precious yogurt!
tongue.png
I cleaned the counter, cleared out the dogs, put on my favorite pair of sweats, and turned on Marc Cohn on the CD player. I was ready! ... I felt like Betty Crocker & Martha Stewart all rolled up into one! ... Okay so I had a little trouble with the temps... couldn't figure out if it was Celsius or Fahrenheit because I use recipes with both... (My dh thought this was a seriously stupid thing to have a question about) - but a BYC member came to the rescue!
woot.gif
big_smile.png
Many hours later - and feeling very accomplished I carefully removed my beautiful jars of bountiful cultures... got out the spoon... tasted really yummy... but, well, it was a little stringy... even after refrigeration!
roll.png
Not to be daunted in my efforts... I promptly made another batch... and well ... it was stringy too! :eek: Good flavor... just stringy!
barnie.gif
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for the next time?

If you want thick pudding or custard type yogurt use the powdered milk (if you used it add more the next time). The stringy yogurt is the way you will find it in other countries across the pond. They don't make it custard style like we are used to eating it in the US.

I also think the stringiness has to do with the starter culture. I finally got some awesome starter from my sister. Wow, the yogurt is solid, not stringy in the least, and is better than any other starter I've had. I always make my yogurt from fresh farm cow's milk and would never use powdered milk cause I don't like the taste. I know other people use the powder and like it just fine, but I have so much fresh milk available around here. I freeze ice cube trays of my last yogurt batch to use for the next batch.

Does anyone know if its BETTER to have more strains of yogurt bacteria culture? Or does 1 strain as good as 7-10?

smile.png
Thank you for the information. I am going to make another batch tomorrow - I was pleased with the taste and knowing that I am providing healthy yogurt for our family! My dh says that we made "Euro Yogurt" - after hearing that this is more like the yogurt in other countries. Thanks again for the great recipe and for the helpful info.
wink.png

Quote:
When you are speaking in terms of probiotics (like they do in many commercials these days targeting people with bowel problems and the advantages of multi cultured yogurts) adding one good bacteria to your colon isn't nearly as good as adding 6 or 8 different bacterias to your colon. You want a healthy mix of floura and
fauna to keep your digestive tract healthy. Especially good for someone who has been taking antibiotics. The medications strip the good bacteria out with the bad and it takes a good bit to put those back and to get them doing good jobs for you. In this case more is better.

Glad you like it, Serendipity. You'll never want to go back to store bought now.
wink.png

Hi ChickenAnnie! Thanks for the post. What type of yogurt starter do you use? Where did you get your starter - or rather where did your sister get her starter?
Thanks for your time.
cool.png

Serendipity, your post describing getting all your materials ready and your experience sounded just like I felt several weeks ago when I tried it for the first time too. Now I make a new jar every weekend.

I haven't had "stringy" results, but I have had batches that have portions of the jar more custard-like, and other portions are more loose and watery. Did I not whisk in the yogurt starter well enough?

OK - I've read enough about this that I'm going to have to try it for myself this weekend. I'll get all my supplies together tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom