Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

And you think my plot is evil?
wink.png

My goslings had lettuce and yogurt for their breakfast. They love it.

We demolished the quart of yesterdays yogurt. So I just did 2 quarts and will give one to my neighbor to try. I will give her the directions in case she is hooked, too.
smile.png

So I have some questions...

How long can I feed new yogurt with what I make before it is not longer as active? In other words, how often should I use new storebought yogurt?

What is the purpose of heating the milk to 185 degrees?

I used 4 heaping TBSP yesterdays yogurt to feed today's. That came out to about 1/4 c + 1 TBSP. Does that sound right?

Can you use more of the feeder yogurt? Will that make a difference?

When should sugar or flavorings or pureed fruits be added if that is what we want to put in the yogurt?

What is the shelf life?

Quote:
You shouldn't have to worry about it. the culture is alive. You can put it in the freezer in cubes and when it thaws they are still alive. If you left it out too long or it over heated or was left to spoil is the only time I know of that you need to start over with a new culture. using it to make more you are feeding it and they are spawning and making more and more bacterias to make more milk into more yogurt. kind of like feeding a sour dough bread starter or yeast.

Quote:
You are making sure you have killed off any other bacteria that could possibly be in the milk so that the only thing growing is your good bacteria for the yogurt making process.

Quote:
Yes. That should be plenty. I don't measure too much. I think when I did a gallon of milk I just put in like a half a cup and it worked fine. All of those little bacterias grew and grew and converted the milk to yogurt.

Quote:
No it doesn't really matter. You can freeze whats left of your starter and have it for a later when you think your own culture shows a problem - which it shouldn't.

Quote:
I add vanilla, honey or sugar when I heat the milk so every bit dissolves and mixes in well. If you want to add fruit I would say add it as a final step before putting it in your jars - heavy fruits will settle to the bottom. For fruity yogurt I give my kids a jar of jam or preserves we made to put on top.

Quote:
As long as you have never opened the jar 2 months - but I have heard as long as 3 months. For an opened jar a month. Mine never lasts that long. If the kids aren't finishing a jar the chicks, ducks or geese do.

I think some commercial yogurt is good for 3 - 5 months.

Miss Prissy, do you know if I can use your recipe and still put it in my little yogurt maker? I tried their recipe and it was very sour with the packet of cultures!
big_smile.png

cultures come very sour to almost dessert like sweetness. Yes, it should work in your yogurt maker. Our cooler method is the DIY yogurt maker. LOL

Next batch is in the yogurt maker. Hope it's better than the last! The girls (chickens) didn't mind the last batch!
big_smile.png

Well, I have been making yogurt like mad. I got my neighbor hooked. I have a cup for breakfast with fruit or granola and int he afternoons instead of having a snack if I get hungry, I have a couple spoonfuls of yogurt.

I will be making a batch this Sunday for going back to work. I will just put it in half pint jars and incubate it that way. I will just grab a jar and a banana for lunch.

You have turned me into an enthusiastic yogurt fan!

Back
Top Bottom