Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Thank you! Thank you!
I'm new to BYC and I've been lost reading through all the different threads. This one in particular as we have our own milk. The ingredients are about the same, just different proportions from my recipe. I've read about the many different ways to incubate yogurt and decided using the crockpot method turned out the best. That is until the last few times. Upon reading how MissPrissy's recipe and method has worked so well for others, I gave it a try. Yep, it worked great. I layered it with honey and blueberries for my DH's lunch and he just called to say how good it is. I had the same for breakfast and my sentiments exactly.
It is good! It is just as yogurt should be. Even better with our own milk.

I have another batch in the cooler as I type.
I'm also waiting for the mozzerella to drain. Then, it's on to pastuerizing milk. Busy morning, but then I'll be done with "milk" for the weekend.

Thanks again, MissPrissy.

MP on my 3rd batch of yogurt I finally have the texture and taste I was after, thanks for the recipe! The "girls" didn't mind the first 2 batches!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Has the recipe for the strawberry buttermilk ice cream been posted? I've been looking for it and if it's here, I can't find it.

Please share any ice cream recipes that are family favorites. We have all this milk and recently splurged on an ice cream maker. Our first attempt was vanilla and is it ever good.

Thanks

prairiegirl...........who's mozzarella was a disaster today. But, I think I know what I did wrong.

I am so scared. I have my first batch of Miss Prissy's yougurt in the cooler. I didnt have a candy thermometer so I don't know if i heated and cooled it to the right temperatures.
sad.png
I am afraid i just made a mess.
fl.gif
Nothing to do now but wait and see.

You really need a simple thermometer for many of these kitchen DIY's.

No the recipe has not been posted. Let's ask again -

strawberry buttermilk ice cream recipe

please?

And thank you!

I tried a new brand of yogurt for the starter and got great results this time! This batch (my 3rd) was creamy and thick. No graininess at ALL.

Question about Greek-style yogurt. It is just the yogurt drained of whey or are there different cultures? I saw some at Trader Joe's and thought about buying some to try but it was $1.79 for an 8 oz thing of yogurt. Not in this economy!!!
th.gif

Off to mow the lawn, do laundry, paint the hen house, and make cherry coffee cake for a party with girlfriends this evening. I'm to try a Cooking Light recipe (LOVE that magazine!!).
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1816317

Sheesh... I'm tired already!

Quote:
Here's the one I used! The recipe actually calls it "Sherbet," although I thought that sherbet was dairy-free. Oh, well, whatever you call it, it's good. From the May '08 issue of Southern Living.

Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet

MAKES ABOUT 4½ CUPS; PREP: 15 MIN., CHILL: 1 HR., FREEZE: 2 HR.

2 cups fresh strawberries*

2 cups buttermilk

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Garnish: fresh mint sprigs

1. Process strawberries in a food processor or blender 30 seconds or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Pour strawberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, pressing with back of a spoon. Discard solids. Add buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla to puree; stir until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.

2. Pour strawberry mixture into freezer container of a 1½-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times may vary.) Garnish, if desired.

*1 (16-oz.) package frozen strawberries, thawed, may be substituted.

The tang of buttermilk balances the sweetness of the berries in top-rated Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet. This heavenly four-ingredient dessert requires only 15 minutes of hands-on preparation before it goes into an ice-cream maker.

Back
Top Bottom