Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
I won't tell if you won't.
lol.png
After all, it was organic chocolate........RIGHT!!
gig.gif

Well, I just got an email from where I had ordered my cheese making supplies and they are out of lipase and don't plan to carry it any longer. They asked if I still wanted to proceed with my order? I said, no thanks as there is no point in paying shipping to two different places. So my cheese making will be later than the rest of you but you can give me advise then. ha ha

Ozark Hen,
How am I supposed to keep you straight in my mind if you keep changing your avitar? I was so used to your old one and was just beginning to get used to your new one and then you go and change it on me again. I am beginning to get ADD, like my kids, I think.
tongue.png

lau.gif
Sorry, I get bored with the same old thing.
lau.gif
I like yours by the way.
gig.gif
I am always changing the wallpaper on my computer on new pics I take. I will try, I said, try...to keep this one for awhile.
fl.gif

Thanks Miss Prissy, but I haven't gotten the rennet tabs yet either since I ordered them together from the same place. No one in Springfield had them either. Shall I get goat's milk for the mozzarella?
Thanks BirdBrain, I am counting on you.
big_smile.png

You all inspired me to do the same! My husband eats so much yogurt and I'm hoping I can persuade him to switch to the home made variety instead. I like the idea of this - healthier milk (no hormones), no endless plastic 8 oz. containers littering our landfills, etc.

I just put my first batch into the cooler (which is kinda the wrong name for it since I'm using it as a heater).
roll.png

OK, so here are my questions:

1. Have any of you experimented with fermentation times? While reading up on this before starting, I found an interesting article that discusses this issue. The article said that a starter with a greater number of bacteria will ferment faster but be more likely to leak whey. A slower fermentation is the result of a yogurt with fewer bacteria and creates a creamier, less tangy yogurt.
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000176.html
The yogurt I used was a French Style creamline yogurt with, I think, 4 types of bacteria. The taste of the original yogurt is very creamy, so I'm curious to see if my yogurt will mimic it or not, particularly since I used a lower fat milk than is contained in the starter yogurt.

2. Now that some of you are probably getting to be pro's at this, what are some of your favorite mix-ins? Do you have a way of making this quickly and easily? Hubby typically grabs a couple of yogurts and throws them in his lunch to take to work. I need to make this yogurt easy for him to use.

Thanks for the great idea!

MissPrissy,

Just wanted to let you know that I have made 2 batches of homemade yogurt and today I will make my 3rd.

I love it! I love the way it tastes, the fact that I made it and I love the way it looks. I love to open up my fridge and see this beautiful white jar filled with yogurt!! It's kinda like my eggs, I love to marvel at my bin full of fresh eggs from my own backyard! So rewarding!

Thanks for sharing...also, peeked at your website and found it to also be beautiful and endearing. I tried to open up the pics to view your garden and tobacco barn but they kept coming up blank.?

Do you think yogurt can be made with soymilk? Looking forward to my own mozzerela next!

Donna

Back
Top Bottom