Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

I'm making yogurt outside today. It's freaking HOT, so I didn't put it in direct sun. I have a French friend who does it all the time, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Scalded milk, cooled to very warm, dropped in a big glop of yogurt, sealed in jars and set outside. Et Voila.

Quote:
Thanks ozark hen! I'll be making more in the morning and I'll try that.

Quote:
Whew! You're not kidding it's hot! Let us know how it turned out and I might try the same. Thanks!

BowChickaBowMowWill it work in my pots, or do I need to get something else?

I've always used stainless steel. I believe I've read that stainless is used because it can be kept sterile and that other materials might react differently. If that's all I had I might give it a try as I have had success as well as disasters with my cheeses.LOL Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge will be able to help you.

I have a yogurt question. Yesterday I scraped the bottom of the jar to get a bowl for lunch. I noticed that the very bottom was a bit grainy. Maybe that's not the right word, but it had small lumps, not hard or bad tasting. I'm wondering if I didn't get mixed well, although I mix and mix and have even poured it back into the bowl when I see it's not when pouring into the jars.
Any ideas what caused this?

Ahhh, mozzarella. I just have to share that I made a wonderful stretching, tasting, melting batch. I've been tinkering with the recipe and the causes of my failures. Each time I think I know what the problem is and then, disaster!
Last week I tried Ricki Carrol's recipe. The first time it didn't turn out. But, then success. What I did differently was to drain in cloth before heating in the microwave. I squeezed almost all of the whey out and it was much better. Of course the cloth was a mess and I pondered with the idea of throwing it out as I scrubbed and picked it clean. But, the frugal in me wouldn't allow it. It finally came clean and is good as new....waiting for another batch of mozzarella cheese.
Just had to share my success........thanks for listening.LOL​

Well, It is very hot here also, so my last batch (which we finished eating today already) that I made yesterday was placed on my deck in the shade for 8 hours. It turned out great! Still not as thick as I want, I added 1/2 C. powdered milk & 1/2 package french vanilla pudding. Is it making a difference that I'm using whole milk from the local Mennonite's? I know they don't process there's the same way as the milk you get in the store. But it's not raw either......

tntstanifer-
how did the yogurt taste with the french vanilla pudding? Did you just add the pudding by itself, or did you also add sugar? I've been wanting to try it with the pudding, but was not sure how it would taste.

I don't have an answer in regards to your milk, sorry.

Thanks!

Quote:
It was yummy! I didn't add any extra sugar. I usually add a little honey when I eat it. This morning I had a cup full with fresh blueberries, strawberries, granola & honey. This stuff is SOOOOOO much better than what you buy in stores. Truly, I was not much of a yogurt eater before because I couldn't stomach the consistency or taste. Now, I probably eat too much of it!
tongue.png

Hey, y'all--I have a new cheese recipe that calls for "2 teaspoons liquid rennet." I only have the rennet tablets from New England Cheesemaking Supply.

Can anyone tell me the ratio for substituting rennet tablets for liquid rennet?

UPDATE: I think I've answered my own question, but thought I'd post it here in case anyone else was wondering, because WHOA, I was surprised! 1 teaspoon liquid rennet = 1 rennet tablet.

So for my raw goat's milk mozzarella, I'll basically be using 4 times as much rennet as I do for cow's milk cheese!

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge you will want to dissolve the tablet in at least 2 tbsp of nonchlorinated water before using.

I have never used different recipes for the different types of milk. I have used both goat milk and cow milk.

I have always used 1/4 tablet diluted in water for 1 gallon of milk.

What recipe are you using??

Let us know how it goes with a whole tablet if you use it.

Here's a question on the yogurt recipe- I read all 86 pages but it made me a little woozy, so I apologize if this has already been asked.

Has anyone tried to use a can of evaporated milk for the extra thickness in lieu of the powdered? I find that there's a distinct dehydrated milk flavor in the yogurt that I'd love to get away from, and yet I don't want to use gelatin to get it really thick- I love custard-like thick yogurt!

I thought this may work for the extra protein...

Thanks!
clap.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom